Happy Birthday Thread

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Birthday Dani……how thoughtful of you to coincide your special day with Beekeeping suppliers sales.

How did you get that past Lynne?
Smuggled it in on the basis that we needed something to deal with the mountain of leaves and branches littering the garden ... I'm not sure she understood what it was and by the time it was home ... it was fait accompli ... I will pay for this misdemeanour in due course no doubt ! I left it in the back of the Rover for 10 days as it looked smaller in there .... But it's a BEAST !! It will swallow a 50mm branch .... loads of fun.

A few years back I got a good deal on one of these. It really is quite a scary animal.

chipper07.jpg

Shocking how much they've gone up in price since. It will eat just about anything I decide isn't worth the effort of turning into logs for the woodburner and turn it into stuff for making paths around the veggie plot or mix with the compost when it gets a bit too "green". I've not bought any woodchip since :) Even the packaging came in useful, for temporarily extending the trailer.

woodchips-01-rotated.jpg

James

A few years back I got a good deal on one of these. It really is quite a scary animal.

chipper07.jpg

Shocking how much they've gone up in price since. It will eat just about anything I decide isn't worth the effort of turning into logs for the woodburner and turn it into stuff for making paths around the veggie plot or mix with the compost when it gets a bit too "green". I've not bought any woodchip since :) Even the packaging came in useful, for temporarily extending the trailer.

woodchips-01-rotated.jpg

James
Mine was a gumtree bargain ... but it's had new blades fitted recently and the 5hp engine starts and runs well ... it will do branches up to about 50mm and gobbles up smaller stuff and leaves faster than you can put them in the hopper.

I've had a small Bosch electric shredder for a few years (the best of the domestic shredders - and I've had a few different ones over the years) but it struggles with any stringy stuff and leaves just bung it up.

With the amount of trees we have in and around the garden it's a constant battle to keep on top of the stuff that comes down and I don't like burning it. We compost an awful lot but breaking it down with a shredder decreases the time it takes to turn into usable compost dramatically and without the small twigs and stuff in it saves a lot of seiving. Should have got one years ago ...

They're great machines :) I was planning on getting a fair bit of use out of mine this winter as I still have quite a bit of tree work that I want to get through, but I already feel as though I'm running out of time to finish all the jobs I want to do before Spring arrives (and do a few "purely fun" things as well). Lack of daylight really limits what can be done in a day :(

James

Latest posts

Back