Smoker for Food.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That must be the worst job in theatre. You are the one keeping the patient alive 😱
I was always glad to be at the other end.
Or the best! When it all goes south you're in charge!
ICU takes it up a level, anaesthetising is my relaxed bit! 🙂

We smoke our meat on beech sawdust only.. Two turns of smoke and " on the air".. For smoking we use building just for that - low firebox ( there shouldn't be open flame), up open shafts with mesh - only in winter time we use it when we process meat for us. This one is older pic..
About cancerogenic.. everything is better than junk food from malls.. not to mention the air in big cities is a lot more cancerogenic..
🤤🤤

So my wife suggested that instead of presents to each other for this year and next we buy a Weber kettle BBQ. So we did and a few nice extras like the wifi temp probes and so on. She then went on a smoking course held by Weber in Edinburgh and very informative it was too she said. She came back with a recipe for smoked salmon that the course tutor passed on to them. He uses it as an entree for the wedding breakfasts he does. The fish is cooked at only 100C! And for just ten mins. We now have brisket pretty much off, again top temp is 130C but for several hours. The brisket is smoked and we are playing with peat and oak wood. Whether it qualifies as cold smoking I've no idea but the outcome is lovely. :)

PH

I'd count that as hot smoking. My understanding is that cold smoking shouldn't really even warm the food up. Off the top of my head, my smoker cabinet is about 100 litres volume I think, and I use a small mesh "spiral" about 15cm square in the bottom that contains smouldering sawdust. It barely creates any heat at all. Perhaps I should drop a temperature probe inside it next time I'm using it.

100°C is quite warm enough to cook many things. I believe that "sous vide" systems often run at around 60°C.

James

Yes, only 60-70C internal temp for a beef joint.
There is a temp you can hold eggs at that sets the white but leaves the yolk runny - I've a feeling it's about 64C, but could be remembering wrong.

We smoke only on cold smoke and in winter time preferably with longer period of minus temps. Meat isn't cooked or so, just little smoke and air.. At my place it's the only way we do it ( pork meat).
By the way, once we had too little own meat for processing and for coming winter, we bought some from shops.. But it was disaster, so we don't smoke anymore bought pork meat..

Last edited:
It would be nice to try smoked bloaters again. You can't find them anymore around Great Yarmouth. They have a different sort of bloater now
The kind that stuff double portions of fish and chips into their mouths while occupying two seats in the cafe? Last year in Bridlington I observed one sitting at a harbour cafe wolfing it down. A couple of seagulls were annoying other diners but they kept well out of reach of the bloater,probably fearful of being grabbed and eaten.🤔

Now that I like the idea of. I even have a few wire trays from old ovens after I built my current one, and who doesn't need another project to think about? :D

I think I'd have to get a bigger smoke generator though.

James
I was also looking at these:

https://coldsmoking.co.uk/products/dry-age-bags
Dry age bags, so rather than smoking they dehydrate meat so you end up with, I assume, Jerky or Biltong style meat.

Dry age bags, so rather than smoking they dehydrate meat so you end up with, I assume, Jerky or Biltong style meat.

When I've done that (to make a Parma-style ham for example) I've just cured the meat and then wrapped it in several layers of cheesecloth (or something similar) and hung it where the squirrels can't get at it and it won't get rained on. Some people make a mesh cage to hang it in and keep the pests out.

Which is also why we own a very old butchers-style meat slicer. In fact a couple of weeks back my wife cooked a ham that we sliced for sandwiches and suchlike. Our local butcher is genuinely excellent, but our own sliced ham tasted so much better than the sliced ham they sell. I'm hoping it doesn't also work out so much more expensive than what they sell, so we can justify doing it more often.

James

The kind that stuff double portions of fish and chips into their mouths while occupying two seats in the cafe? Last year in Bridlington I observed one sitting at a harbour cafe wolfing it down. A couple of seagulls were annoying other diners but they kept well out of reach of the bloater,probably fearful of being grabbed and eaten.🤔
Yes. That's the kind. Whenever I venture into Yarmouth I feel like I should be carrying a golden ring and have Samwise Gamgee as a companion.

We used to use GTY a lot as a stopover when patrolling that sea area - even the most hard bitten one night standers on our crew would volunteer to shipkeep in the evenings!
The only place we made a beeline for was the Gallon can when Molly (ex trawler skipper) was running it and always had strippers in, the 'Sunday lunchtime special' was well worth attending
As someone once said 'it makes Blackpool look classy'

• Haha
Reactions: Ely
We used to use GTY a lot as a stopover when patrolling that sea area - even the most hard bitten one night standers on our crew would volunteer to shipkeep in the evenings!
The only place we made a beeline for was the Gallon can when Molly (ex trawler skipper) was running it and always had strippers in, the 'Sunday lunchtime special' was well worth attending
As someone once said 'it makes Blackpool look classy'
One of the things I do like about this area is watching the ships. Especially on cold winter evenings. I do that on the Gorleston side though after a walk on the beach

One of the things I do like about this area is watching the ships. Especially on cold winter evenings. I do that on the Gorleston side though after a walk on the beach
it's a pig of an entrance though, and the 'new' entrance just made things worse. you have to shoot in at full chat then 'slam the brakes on' or end up on Gorlestone high street

• Haha
Apparently that harbour was an all round waste of time and not built correctly. Not sure if they are local rumours though

Apparently that harbour was an all round waste of time and not built correctly. Not sure if they are local rumours though
No, they were right - it caused serious problems with siltation at the river entrance, cross currents South of it and siltation further South, it became an absolute PITA to both leave (but we didn't mind :D ) and to enter

Back