Grease Patties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham40

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
30+
I'm looking to use a grease pattie for the first time I've found several recipes online and in books but have no operational experience. I intend laying it on top of the frames as I would candy. However as this is a Pattie the chances are it will dissolve and drip down the frames. Does anyone else have advice.

Attached is the recipie I intend following

Grease Patties containing both wintergreen oil or tea tree oil and mineral salt appear to have an effect on varroa mites and tracheal mites. These effects can be seen when brood is present, and has a devastating effect on mites when brood is not present. However, grease patties with essential oils should not be used during time of honey collection for human consumption. During this time, grease patties without essential oils can be used to a lesser effect. For any noticeable effect, a grease patty of some form should be used at all times. Replace any consumed patties.
Simple Grease Patty

1 part (by volume) solid vegetable shorting (such as Crisco)
2 parts (by volume) white sugar

Mix sugar and shortening until well combined. Split into approximately quarter cup (~6 centiliters) portions and store excess in the freezer sandwiched between sheets of wax paper.
Grease Patty With Mineral Salt

2 lbs solid vegetable shorting (such as Crisco)
3 lbs white sugar
1 lb 1:2 Syrup or High Fructose Corn Syrup or Clean Honey
1/3 cup pulverized mineral salt (~1/5lb Depending on mineral content)

Prepare the same as you would a simple grease patty recipe.
Grease Patty With Mineral Salt and Essential Oils

2 lbs solid vegetable shorting (such as Crisco)
3 lbs white sugar
1 lb 1:2 Syrup or High Fructose Corn Syrup or Clean Honey
1/3 cup pulverized mineral salt (~1/5lb Depending on mineral content)
3 table spoons wintergreen oil

Prepare the same as you would a simple grease patty recipe. Remember to wear gloves when handling wintergreen oil.

Grease Patties containing both wintergreen oil or tea tree oil and mineral salt appear to have an effect on varroa mites and tracheal mites.

Really?

is that the most up-to-date varroa info from the land of Crisco and High Fructose Corn Syrup?

Do you really have a problem with Tracheal mites (Acarine)?

Tracheal mites actually, Varroa I don't have a problem with, as it gets bombed with enough chemicals.

Isn't acerine quite rare these days?

I heard of these grease pattie but I thought you put in hive entrance and the bee walked on them sounded like a mess so I did not follow it up. but not on top

Tracheal mites actually, Varroa I don't have a problem with, as it gets bombed with enough chemicals.

You really have Tracheal Mites ? They are very common in the USA where the various 'treatments' tend to orginate from but they (and the associated incidence of Acarine) are so rare that few beekeepers have even seen the symptoms.

It is thought that the Thymol treatments used on Varroa also had a lethal effect on Tracheal Mites and this is why they are so rarely seen in the UK.

Not questioning your statement that you have TM's ... more interested as to what led you to this conclusion and what the symptoms you've seen are.

I hesitate to challenge someone with thirty hives but not one of my contacts consider tracheal mites to be currently creating a problem in my region. Sometimes you need to consider whether "treatments" used on one continent are appropriate or required on another.

Few beekeeping microcopists in Yorkshire have ever seen acarine mites in trachea and many would welcome the chance to see them "in the flesh" for the 1st time.
Sandhutton is only a few miles away from you so I wonder if NBU would agree with you (and they are more likely to know the answer than most) that Acarine is a problem in East Yorkshire.

Bee inspector told me that 'you don't get tracheal mites nowadays' due to thymol treatments.

Are you trying to treat something that doesn't exist - or have you ripped the head off some bees, pinned them to a cork and seen them? (Or the resultant trachea anyway)...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back