GrassRoots

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyalexwales

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Good morning everyone.

My name is Johnny and im a total noob to this hobby.

I love animals in all their forms and I currently keep fish inside as my "London" pet.

So recently, after purchasing a 3 bedroom house in Harold Hill area, with a large back garden and Koi pond (result!) I have decided I am going to get involved with Bee Keeping.

I am looking for a starting point, can anyone provide a few titles or areas I should be reading up on?

I want to create a small concrete hard standing at the top of the garden, place a nice small hive and surround it with honey suckle on trellis timbers.

But this is just the initial plan, any pointers would be gratefully received!

I am a civil engineer by trade, so building, creating is not a problem, but where to start?!!

Many thanks, and merry Christmas everyone!

Johnny

Hi Jonny and welcome, lots of advice about and you will soon learn to filter it. Most would say checkout your local beekeeping association and get a good book to read.
Have a read through the stickie thread 'so you want to start beekeeping' located just above this one in the index of beginners section.
good luck
Pete

Hi Johnny, welcome.

I would advise you to look around for a beginners course, which are often in winter, early spring. Get in touch with your local branch of the BBKA.

You'll find the concept of a 'nice small hive' doesn't really work, and they usually ignore the forage outside the front door.

This is a totally absorbing and addictive hobby, but ditch the rose tinted specs!

Latest posts

Back