Bees in garden advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you are the one moving in its only fair that you are taking the precautions so well done on you.

Buy a pot of honey and re-label it as your own.
Give it to the horsey woman a week after installing the hive -
instant friendship;)

Even nice bees have off days,and unplanned superseding rarely improves things.
I do believe the seclusion mentioned in previous posts would help to keep perceived threats from their minds

Black Fire Retardant Debris Netting 2m x 50m - 80GSM

More cost effective than fencing if there's uncertainty of the future viability of the project,and you would only need poles rather than posts.
Many other uses for it too if it turns out at a no.

If you Google Suffolk Beekeepers, there will be someone closer to you than me (and who has more experience) who will help. I’m near Ipswich and the local branch is active and V. Helpful.

Attachments

• 51CD8B20-83B0-49F2-8601-7D1651BAF8AA.jpeg
    51CD8B20-83B0-49F2-8601-7D1651BAF8AA.jpeg
    682.6 KB · Views: 2
Like you, I was warned about horses and bees. The place where I have my bees was sold 4 years ago, and the new owners were happy for me to continue to keep my bees there. I didn’t know at the time they had horses. My apiary is sort of fenced/hedged off in the corner of the field, a bit of scrub land that isn’t much good for anything else. The horses - and donkeys - were put in the apiary field and it did worry me a bit, particularly as both sets of animals would come and see what I was doing. The horses haven’t been bothered by the bees, and the bees aren’t bothered by the horses. There’s been no change in temperament in the bees and the horses are happy to graze just the other side of sheep fencing. As you have a high hedge I wouldn’t be bothered about the horses and bees. The stables are a field away so I don’t need to worry about them.

Last edited:
As you are the one moving in its only fair that you are taking the precautions so well done on you.

Buy a pot of honey and re-label it as your own.
Give it to the horsey woman a week after installing the hive -
instant friendship;)

Even nice bees have off days,and unplanned superseding rarely improves things.
I do believe the seclusion mentioned in previous posts would help to keep perceived threats from their minds

Black Fire Retardant Debris Netting 2m x 50m - 80GSM

More cost effective than fencing if there's uncertainty of the future viability of the project,and you would only need poles rather than posts.
Many other uses for it too if it turns out at a no.
Have some that I have to direct the bees away from my hen area. But in the last couple of days they have taken an unhealthy interest as I walk through thieir flight path into my beeshed. They have never bothered me in the last 5 years but they seem to have decided I'm getting too close so the odd guard is coming out to give me grief. So..... another piece of debris netting is going up! 😀

Even quiet bees can become tetchy if there is a sudden drop in available forage, such as in the June gap (unlikely in a built up area with gardens), syrup feed running out before the flow, or also if overcrowded, or suddenly queenless.

I think that horses won't suffer from the neighborhood of your hives. The dispersal you are talking about is sufficient, so the bees won't disturb your neighbors. However, I know from .... (snip) ... that beekeepers should set up their bee farms in calm, clean, and quiet places. It would be best if you placed the beehives above the ground, away from noisy roads and kindergartens. Maybe the sound of your neighbors' horses will annoy the bees! I made a lot of mistakes when I was a novice beekeeper. My hives in the first experience were low, without legs, in the shade of a large hazel. It makes me laugh to think about it. How many years have you been doing this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I must have missed this one, I had 8 hives on arable land, then the farmer went fallow one year and put his own fencing up. It was an electric fence without the battery. I had one hive kicked over by a horse and sheep rub up alongside them. He then put up slightly better fencing and started having horse shows in the same field and nobody complained about the bees. I have since moved them to a site outside of a solar farm with the same farmer.

I think that horses won't suffer from the neighborhood of your hives. The dispersal you are talking about is sufficient, so the bees won't disturb your neighbors. However, I know from .... (snip) ... that beekeepers should set up their bee farms in calm, clean, and quiet places. It would be best if you placed the beehives above the ground, away from noisy roads and kindergartens. Maybe the sound of your neighbors' horses will annoy the bees! I made a lot of mistakes when I was a novice beekeeper. My hives in the first experience were low, without legs, in the shade of a large hazel. It makes me laugh to think about it. How many years have you been doing this?
I have bees close to horses they ignore each other

Latest posts

Back