What would you do? One for our novice beekeepers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swarm

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Inspected today, May 24th, a huge colony, double brood with three supers, 2021 queen. BIAS, plenty of stores and not a single cup but one sealed queen cell on frame eight in the top box. Pollen a plenty downstairs and more BIAS, queen found third frame from the end.

I would never assume that a strong colony on two broods and three supers would be superseding, especially this time of year.
I’ve had a queen supersed on double brood and supers- nucing queen would be the safer option but personally I would like to see what happens, also as the cell is capped wouldn’t they of swarmed already?
not conclusive but!

Inspected today, May 24th, a huge colony, double brood with three supers, 2021 queen. BIAS, plenty of stores and not a single cup but one sealed queen cell on frame eight in the top box. Pollen a plenty downstairs and more BIAS, queen found third frame from the end.
Was there space to lay?

No. The safest option is to nuc the queen. If it’s supersedure they will try again in the nuc. I’ve just been through a colony with six capped queen cells and the queen still present. I think I find the queen still at home with capped cells more often than swarmed.

In the light of thinking of recent experience I would make a nuc with the QC in the hope this is a supercedure impulse, which I would like to encourage/raise from, though not trusting them not to swarm, if they do it again I would make a nuc with the queen. I would also clip her in case I've missed a cell.

No. The safest option is to nuc the queen. If it’s supersedure they will try again in the nuc. I’ve just been through a colony with six capped queen cells and the queen still present. I think I find the queen still at home with capped cells more often than swarmed.
A point:
-In a nucleus, the probabilities of a swarm are zero, the nurses would be in charge of eliminating the old queen to promote the favor of the new one.
-In the event that one of the two suffered a mishap, everything could still be combined into a hive.

Nuc’ing the queen is not a fail safe option unfortunately. I’ve got a colony that is now making swarm preparations in the nuc. Rather than split again, and use up valuable kit, the queen will be used to replace a lazy queen.

Latest posts

Back