Grand solar minimum

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karol

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Don't know if any one has a passing interest in heliophysics but there are credible predictions that we are heading for a period of longer colder winters. I know summer is still to be had and winter seems a long way off but with all the challenges facing us it might be prudent to have an eye on the longer term horizon especially because Brazil's sugar industry has been badly hit by Covid19!

Thanks for that little ray of sunshine.
as for Brazil sugar prices, anybody with an ounce of common sense will continue to use British or European beet sugar so it shouldn't have too much of an impact.

Predictions, predictions ..... :rolleyes:

I still have a FT from about 1983 quoting solar minimums and forecasting an imminent Ice Age...

Anyone who quotes solar cycles as the basis for their forecasts is worth ignoring totally. There is no definitive agrememnt on the issue...as to length of cycles...

To get a definitive cycle you need to know what the Sun's output is going to be next year.. and the year after .. etc. So far, no solar physicist is brave enough.

Weather forecasters, however, - like Jeremy Corbyn's brother- know it all.......

Rather like dowsers..:paparazzi::paparazzi::paparazzi:

Last edited:
The Daily Mail predicted an extremely severe Winter for last Winter.....and the one before. If they keep doing so they will eventually be right:winner1st:

The Daily Mail predicted an extremely severe Winter for last Winter.....and the one before. If they keep doing so they will eventually be right:winner1st:

The Daily Mail at least would be useful in a bad winter... for fuel.

The Daily Mail at least would be useful in a bad winter... for fuel.

I wouldn't use it for toilet paper though - Swmbo's mother once used it to wipe her arse with and caught a really nasty dose of racism.

I nearly fell off my chair, the next minute you will be welcoming those English second home owners.;)

I still have a FT from about 1983 quoting solar minimums and forecasting an imminent Ice Age...

Anyone who quotes solar cycles as the basis for their forecasts is worth ignoring totally. There is no definitive agrememnt on the issue...as to length of cycles...

Check solar sunspot activity. You'll find it's completely abated with the longest stretch of zero sunspot activity in recent history.

To get a definitive cycle you need to know what the Sun's output is going to be next year.. and the year after .. etc. So far, no solar physicist is brave enough.

Try Prof Valentina Zharkova from Northumbria University who's 2016 predictions were laughed at until confirmed by NASA lasy year.

Weather forecasters, however, - like Jeremy Corbyn's brother- know it all.......

Rather like dowsers..:paparazzi::paparazzi::paparazzi:

Who said anything about predicting the weather. Solar forcing of climate is something entirely different.

Don't read any newspapers least of all the Daily Wail so can't comment. However, last winter was extreme. Greenland experienced the coldest ever recorded temperature in January and the polar vortex brought some of the harshest weather in North America/Canada for 40 years. Doesn't play into the global warming narrative so not reported.

Sugar keeps for ages so having a little extra just in case won't go to waste.

-64.9°C according to NOAA. Feel free to Google it.

Is that it? Seriously, is that all you've got?

One very cold temperature record taken in Greenland in the depths of winter and you think that proves anything?

As opposed to many thousands of daily recorded temperatures across the globe both on land and the oceans (Argo temperature sensors) that in aggregate show overall global warming?

So difficult to decide!

Latest posts

Back