winter poly prep

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jafer2

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Anyone have any concern for a bad winter this year if you have a poly hive? I know in wooden hives you can add insulation boards to the exterior but what about polys?

I presume it wouldnt harm them if i use the same method?

only ask because we are headed into a colder period like 2009/2010 and consensus is that we are headed into a grand solar minimum which means freezing temps here in the uk like the 16/1700s where the themes froze over. Its predicted to start this year/2019 and last till 2030/2050.

Hmm. Given that the 12 hour ahead forecast is near always wrong I have no confidence in a forecast for the next 30+ years.

I have experience of bees wintering in freezing weather and they don't really cluster in poly units.

PH

humm thats interesting about the bees not clustering in polys.

Yeah they cant even predict whats going to happen 6 hours from now. Thats not what im on about. The sun goes into a predictable cycle of 11 years and we are heading down ending in 2019. Based off records from ice and sea surface they can see when its gone up and down over thousands of years and its clear that we are headed in a downwards trend. I dont like the cold and would prefer that we dont but am concerned for my bees if we do go like we did in 2010 or if we do have a grand minimum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H7uSCA_ZSE&t=56s

Just as it does in summer temps max out after our longest days.
The solar max being 2014 and proving that it's not that predictable ( should have been 2010) makes 2017 just about max temp.
Worry about it 2020-2022 if you must.

but am concerned for my bees if we do go like we did in 2010 or if we do have a grand minimum.

Bees were perfectly fine in 2010, the wet summer and autumn of 2012 (lack of pollen) followed by cold spring of 2013 was not so good for some though.

Finmans colonies have to put up with long, cold winters and he manages OK apparently.

A well provisioned poly hive, in autumn, populated with healthy bees should/will happily go through to February at least, and likely much later. Interference by humans is not required and likely unwanted by the bees. They have survived millenia without humans around to supposedly covet them.

Losses in 1963 were apparently high, but that would have been an era of timber hives, paper (or bits of carpet) for top insulation - if any - and matchsticks under the crown board. Most beekeepers have hopefully moved on from those inadequate, or even damaging, measures - OK, there are still dinosoars who leave the colonies with no top insulation and with through-draughts - and polyhives are a proven entity.

You appear to be using 14 x 12 polyhives? If full of stores they should hold sufficient stores for at least 5 months, if brooding is at a minimum. I have repeatedly needed to remove frames from the brood box in spring, to allow brooding to accelerate at the fastset rate. That was predominantly with insulated timber hives and polyhives are better.

I would not be worrying about the next umpteen years. The next winter is the one to concentrate on.

To one hive owner...

Polyhive makes its duty well in -30C weather.

Last 3 winters have been very warm here. Why should weather jump so bad this winter.

Some important thing in wintering

- size of colony
- treating mites
- proper ventilation. Much ventilation gives no advantages.
- proper size space.
- not windy place
- fed full. So bees cap the food.
- let the bees be alone.

Here are some basic things.

Your Winter is short and warm.

My bees propably come out from hives in Marsh. Forecast is 10 cm snow tomorrow.
What I need to do is to put winter tyres under the car.

Last edited:
Well granted finman has it worse then here in uk. As for me yes i do have a 14x12 but im not concerned about that. Im also taking a nuc into this winter too which is a maisemore 6 frame poly nuc.

Yes winter is coming ; ) . Need to prep me bees before the white walkers come.

We had two severe winters 2011-12 and 2012-13. - when I was a novice - -16C in both for a week or so. My bees in TBHs survived with no problems. TBHs are less thermally efficient than ordinary wooden hives!...- but I did have insulation on top of the topbars..

So any poly hive will survive - everything eslse being equal..

To be fair The Express have been running that same scare story since 2012/13. law of averages says that eventually they will predict a harsh winter from the annual October repeat of this story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Worst winters are such when hives do not get enough pollen to feed their winter brood.

Worst winters are such when hives do not get enough pollen to feed their winter brood.

Yeah got pollen patties just incase i need them. Queen still laying like mad and temps are dropping next week

Lack of pollen informs to bees that winter is coming.... Patty feeding....

Do you have ivy there?

Winter stores consumed to brood rearing?

Lack of pollen informs to bees that winter is coming.... Patty feeding....

Do you have ivy there?

Winter stores consumed to brood rearing?

Dont have patty on. Wasnt going to put it on till late winter around early feb. I do have alot of ivy but they are brining in some really white stuff too which could be Himalayan Balsam? Yes winter stores are a little low due to high brood rearing which i presume is down to warm temps we have had so had to keep on feeding sugar syrup still. They were out yesterday in the rain bring back pollen too which was a supprise and had a few drones buzzing about and going back in. Out of the 6 frames last time i checked 3 were brood in all stages and rest honey capped / sugar syrup. Concern is the boost in numbers means a depletion on honey so keeping warm might be an issue in a nuc due to less food over winter? I have put fondant but seem to be ignoring it. The pollen patty is a mix of pollen and fondant

Last edited:
You should prepare bees for winter. IT is long process and you cannot do it by looking forecasts.

You should boost your hives in summer and not in October.

Somebody local should advice you.

Last edited:
You should prepare bees for winter. IT is long process and you cannot do it with looking forecasts.

You should boost your hives in summer and not in October.

Somebody local should advice you.

I have been preping for winter. Wanted to take nuc into winter not full hive. Its a late split and they are doing fine at the moment. Never took a nuc into winter hrnce the questions.

Anyone have any concern for a bad winter this year if you have a poly hive? I know in wooden hives you can add insulation boards to the exterior but what about polys?

I presume it wouldnt harm them if i use the same method?

only ask because we are headed into a colder period like 2009/2010 and consensus is that we are headed into a grand solar minimum which means freezing temps here in the uk like the 16/1700s where the themes froze over. Its predicted to start this year/2019 and last till 2030/2050.

Is that Michael Palmer I can hear chuckling ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back