winter poly prep

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote Jafer:
"The pollen patty is a mix of pollen and fondant"

Most such formulations have very low pollen content, and hence are not a good source. Best check. Search on line for 'fat bees, skinny bees" a good source of info re bee nutrition .

Candipolline is not a pollen patty. It’s yellow fondant with a tiny bit of pollen in it. If you are going to feed pollen sub get the proper stuff; Ultrabee from Bee-equipment. That’s if you need to feed it st all, which is debatable

Mine don't
I look in now and again in the winter

I have clear 6mm polycarbonate crown boards and I keep 100mm of Kingspan in a super on top of my Paynes 14 x 12 Ppolys and I look in on them from time to time over winter - even on the coldest days when you look through the crownboard there are bees moving around and not in a cluster - there may be a concentration around the queen but it's nothing like the textbook 'winter cluster'. The heat you can feel on the crown board is quite remarkable.

I wouldn't worry about additional insulation on the sides of a well stocked poly hive.

Thanks for the info. Not worried about a full hive. Concern is about ny 6 fram poly nuc going into winter. As for the "pollen patty" i dont use it as a pollen subtitute i use it as a catalyst in late winter and has worked well for me in the past. The bees seem to prefer it over fondant. I dont belive we need a pollen sub here in uk unlike in usa or asutralia where there is not much symbiotic relationship with plants. But i will look into those pollen subs as a backup for years that are bad weather.

I make tophat cosies to place over the roof/body join of my purchased polynuc to reduce heat loss from the top. (50mm celotex).
My home made poly nucs have enveloping roofs with 50mm wall and 100mm roof.
Not lost a nuc in winter - except for a DLQ.

You shouldn't have a problem overwintering a well provisioned colony with a low varroa load in a poly nuc. It's possible to overwinter mini nucs....honest.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have a problem overwintering a well provisioned colony with a low varroa load in a poly nuc. It's possible to overwinter mini nucs....honest.

Depends where you are with mini nucs.. (I am trying this year in a rather colder place than Swansea:)

Actually cold is not really the problem but damp and Swansea is pretty special in that regard I suspect.

I will be setting up minis this coming summer with the intentions of over wintering here in the Borders so time will telll on that front.

Re your five frame poly. Been overwintering these for many years now and the only trick I use is an eke approx 1" deep or 25mm if you want, which contains some bakers fondant. Provided the nuc is a decent strength they go through winters no problems with no cosies or any extras. These are I should say Swienty nucs.

PH

As for the "pollen patty" i dont use it as a pollen subtitute i use it as a catalyst in late winter and has worked well for me in the past.

These are not your first bees then?

No it is not. First time overwintering a nuc.

Was just wondering, going by some of your previous posts.

What beehive do i have?
Hi.

Planning to have my first hive next spring. Took the plunge and ordered a poly beehive but dont know what it is?

As for me yes have gone to hands on lessons, watched countless vid, read many articles and got some advice from local bee keepers. I also have a empty hive 14x12 poly ready for next year. Also have a bait hive

Every year there are predictions of a bad winter. Even if your doomsday scenario comes to fruition there is no need for added insulation on poly hives. If there is deep snow that will provide additional insulation. I remember the so called bad winters of the early sixties. They were hardly artic conditions.

Feed your bees well, but not to the point they cannot raise brood.

Feed with pure, clean, no added extras food. The extras can cause increased need for defecation and if we DO get a bad winter this can cause severe problems.

Pollen dearths and shortages in the UK are not normal. we NEVER feed patties and have proven them to be a waste of money. No improved performance whatsoever by season end.

Poly hives will winter perfectly well without further addition of insulation or wrapping. They DO cluster in them, although possibly not so constantly as in uninsulated wooden hives. A friend experimented with the same boxes we used in Alberta, so severe winter cold, and they came through just fine. No extra insulation, no reduced entrances, no upper ventilation or entrance, no closing off of mesh floor panel.

If you have fed them well enough resist the temptation to go noseying in before the end of February unless you have a good reason to suspect problems. Every opening risks damage, and breaks the bees propolis/wax seal. Not desireable. Hive damaged in mid winter by beekeeper inquisitiveness = hive gubbed. (Well known scientific expression.)

Have 700 poly nucs going into winter again this year, we use no extra insulation, no fondant feeding. Not needed in a UK situation, and they take off like a rocket in spring (you can see some of these on my twitter feed if you wish).

In poly you can throw the text books about feed timing out the window, we successfully feed right through November in hive top feeders even this far north, indeed we still have bees on the moors undergoing heather harvest this week, and they will not be returned off the hills and fed until at least a week from now, even 2 weeks for those headed south. There will be no issues at all.

People panic too much.

I was a sceptic at first, and I know many still are, but poly hives (+nucs) and open mesh floors are a gift for overwintering.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reassurance :) any chance of your twitter fees? Sounds interesting.

@hivemaker thats fine. Did bee keeping a long time ago but things have changed now hence all the questions around polys and nucs.

Actually cold is not really the problem but damp and Swansea is pretty special in that regard I suspect.

I will be setting up minis this coming summer with the intentions of over wintering here in the Borders so time will telll on that front.

Re your five frame poly. Been overwintering these for many years now and the only trick I use is an eke approx 1" deep or 25mm if you want, which contains some bakers fondant. Provided the nuc is a decent strength they go through winters no problems with no cosies or any extras. These are I should say Swienty nucs.

PH

The U.S. books talk of killing frost, in Wales there is killing rain and wind.... its all about heat loss, not temperature per se.

Back