God I love growing our own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blueberry bushes.....

Only half the Bush bore fruit. Other half I noticed had dark branches.

I’ve kept it hoping it will come good next year, but fear the frost has damaged it.

If it was frost damage, will it come good again?

That seems consistent with what I found out when I started trying to discover why not digging might be preferable.

James
My compromise re dig/no dig: Any time soon I'll decide where the customary five rows of spuds will be planted next year. I spread horse manure along each row and dig it in, two spits wide. Come the spring it's well incorporated. Between rows are not dug. Similarly courgettes and squashes - dig a hole, fill with manure and mark the spot ready for spring planting.

If they are alive they might. Snap one and see
Alternatively gently scrape the surface of a branch in a couple of areas with a finger nail. If it is green underneath then the branch is still alive. Start at the tip and work back towards the plant. If the tip is dead but not the section closer to the main body of the plant prune it back to live wood. If it’s all dead prune out completely.

I've been collecting apples today. Mostly for juicing at the moment I think, but I may have another venture into cider-making. I'm not sure what weight of apples fits into a chicken feed sack, but I'd guess somewhere around 15kg. I'm up to about 25 sacks so far. The Ashmead's Kernel trees have done very well this year. Some of the others haven't been so great. I also tasted an apple from a self-seeded tree that appeared alongside the drive. A short while ago they were horrible -- very hard and dry, but now they're sweeter and more juicy. The apple I picked to taste looked ripe, but the pips were still only pale brown. The flesh also turned brown quite quickly. I'm wondering if it might be a cider/dessert apple cross.

One of our crab apple trees is also smothered in fruit, but we really don't need any more crab apple jelly for the time being. Tonight I may well be researching other uses for them.

I noticed that the medlar is starting to lose its leaves. There could be another sackful of fruit there, too. They're still as hard as rock though.

James

I've been collecting apples today. Mostly for juicing at the moment I think, but I may have another venture into cider-making. I'm not sure what weight of apples fits into a chicken feed sack, but I'd guess somewhere around 15kg. I'm up to about 25 sacks so far. The Ashmead's Kernel trees have done very well this year. Some of the others haven't been so great. I also tasted an apple from a self-seeded tree that appeared alongside the drive. A short while ago they were horrible -- very hard and dry, but now they're sweeter and more juicy. The apple I picked to taste looked ripe, but the pips were still only pale brown. The flesh also turned brown quite quickly. I'm wondering if it might be a cider/dessert apple cross.

One of our crab apple trees is also smothered in fruit, but we really don't need any more crab apple jelly for the time being. Tonight I may well be researching other uses for them.

I noticed that the medlar is starting to lose its leaves. There could be another sackful of fruit there, too. They're still as hard as rock though.

James
Blimey! Ours are all well over. All gone. Freezer, stomach or the tip😁

quite a few apples still on our trees, what we don't gather up for cooking/chutneys will be left on the floor for the birds - by the spring the grass will be cleared of them.
When I first bought Brynmair, there were more trees and we had a bumper crop, even after friends and family carted away boxfuls of them the ground was covered with windfalls, I was away on the boats for three months up until Christmas that year so they were left where they fell, then early January I had a flock of fieldfares visiting for a feed every day, as well as the blackbirds and thrushes.

One of my out apiaries is in our plumbers garden (I say garden, it’s about 4 acres) and they have loads of apple trees that they let me pick from every time I go over to see the bees. I’ve been making loads of apple compote for the freezer (lovely with natural yoghurt, muesli & honey for breakfast) and I give them chilli apple chutney at Christmas.

My apples nearly all off trees now, but still a heavy load of Quinces. Any favourite use/recipe ideas? I had pork and quince last night which was pretty good.
I normally make Membrillo and sugar based jam/compote/preserves of one form or another...
Had some baked with honey, lemon peel and a little sugar which were great if you can take the sweetness.

My apples nearly all off trees now, but still a heavy load of Quinces. Any favourite use/recipe ideas? I had pork and quince last night which was pretty good.
I normally make Membrillo and sugar based jam/compote/preserves of one form or another...
Had some baked with honey, lemon peel and a little sugar which were great if you can take the sweetness.
Apple and quince chopped and cooked in microwave, frozen in small amounts and use as a sauce for pork and other meats. Uses at least two quinces 😃😃😃

Last edited:
I'm not really comfortable with birthday and Christmas cards. It seems a such a waste of resources to produce something that most likely ends up in the recipient's bin within a few weeks. Last weekend however I was given a "Thank you" card by a young lad who has been involved with the apiary that I have been setting up with a local charity. It has some fun bee-related artwork, but is also made using paper produced from recycled material which has been embedded with flower seeds. So once the card has served its initial purpose it can be torn into pieces, covered with a little soil and will produce flowers for (hopefully) years to come. Somehow that makes me feel much better about the entire thing. I shall plant the card in one of the new beds I make this winter.

James

I'm not really comfortable with birthday and Christmas cards. It seems a such a waste of resources to produce something that most likely ends up in the recipient's bin within a few weeks. Last weekend however I was given a "Thank you" card by a young lad who has been involved with the apiary that I have been setting up with a local charity. It has some fun bee-related artwork, but is also made using paper produced from recycled material which has been embedded with flower seeds. So once the card has served its initial purpose it can be torn into pieces, covered with a little soil and will produce flowers for (hopefully) years to come. Somehow that makes me feel much better about the entire thing. I shall plant the card in one of the new beds I make this winter.

James
Lovely idea

Latest posts

Back