God I love growing our own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our tomatoes and peppers are a little behind yours. The first few tomatoes are starting to ripen. Been harvesting salad potatoes, onions, shallots and garlic over the last few days though, and I might manage a last pick of the peas and sugar snaps. My father-in-law has been in charge of picking raspberries and says that we have 5kg or more of those in the freezer, with more to come. The autumn-fruiting ones aren't looking too happy this year though.

Really looking forward to the sweet corn harvest. The plants are easily two metres tall now and cobs are starting to fatten.

James

I’ve got more of everything than I can cope with. I love growing but hate dealing with it all. I have gallons of tomato purée. I usually freeze Mediterranean veg for pasta but still have lots left over from last year. And no freezer space

I have gallons of tomato purée.

We probably eat gallons of it over the course of a year. Some gets used for pasta sauces and things like that, but quite a lot goes on home-made pizza. Actually that's probably where a fair bit of the garlic goes, too; roasted with the tomatoes and then the whole lot puréed and bottled.

James

Our tomatoes and peppers are a little behind yours. The first few tomatoes are starting to ripen. Been harvesting salad potatoes, onions, shallots and garlic over the last few days though, and I might manage a last pick of the peas and sugar snaps. My father-in-law has been in charge of picking raspberries and says that we have 5kg or more of those in the freezer, with more to come. The autumn-fruiting ones aren't looking too happy this year though.

Really looking forward to the sweet corn harvest. The plants are easily two metres tall now and cobs are starting to fatten.

James
Our autumn raspberries are crap this year too! Must be a Taunton thing! Mini sweet corn being harvested for stir fried. Main cobs just swelling. Apple trees laden this year too, may have to store as freezers full!

I've just had possibly my final pick of the peas. The plants are starting to go over now and there's a bit of mildew showing as is often the case. I got enough for a meal though, I reckon.

veg-plot-2022-058.jpg

veg-plot-2022-060.jpg

I also picked the some pods that had already dried. The intention is to save these to sow next year. I'll do a test germination early in the winter and if they don't look good then I'll buy more, but hopefully these will do the business.

veg-plot-2022-059.jpg

James

We grow borlotti beans for stews etc. they are still to come. French beans are producing well

We grow borlotti beans for stews etc. they are still to come. French beans are producing well

I like borlotti beans :) French beans are in flower here, but no actual beans yet. I also have runner beans, but I grow them for the actual beans rather than the pod. They're a white-skinned variety that are similar to butter beans.

James

Cucumbers, courgettes and french beans doing well - cherry toms in the greenhouse, gooseberries ready for picking ... lettuce and rocket doing well, I put them in very late. Sweetcorn is a bit of a worry at present - does not seem to be really growing much ?

Where's cgf with his big buds?

Sweetcorn is a bit of a worry at present - does not seem to be really growing much ?

Mine seemed to sulk for quite a while after being planted out and then really took off. I have squashes growing around their feet and that part of the veggie plot looks like a jungle now.

James

Mine seemed to sulk for quite a while after being planted out and then really took off. I have squashes growing around their feet and that part of the veggie plot looks like a jungle now.

James
Yes ... I'm hoping that's what's going on ... it can be a bit of a fussy crop to grow, I've had years where there have been five or six cobs on a stem and other years where I've been lucky to harvest six cobs in total ... keeping my finger crossed it's just getting ready for a growth spurt !

Our autumn raspberries are crap this year too! Must be a Taunton thing! Mini sweet corn being harvested for stir fried. Main cobs just swelling. Apple trees laden this year too, may have to store as freezers full!
My raspberries are crap too......and I'm in Sussex!

ychafi, little sticks packed with disappointment - whatever you do to them they just taste like damp earth
Yes ... I'm with you on those ... but a fresh cob straight off the stem and cooked within minutes then slathered with proper butter - now, that's a treat. Also good grilled with a bit of paprika and butter .... can't wait .. though, at their present rate of progress ,,,, might be a long one !

ychafi, little sticks packed with disappointment - whatever you do to them they just taste like damp earth
Mine are mini corn and I surround them with some excellent home made Hoisin....lovely
The big stuff is just a way of getting butter down you and bits between your teeth. My hens love it, but then they have no teeth.

Latest posts

Back