Garden/external thermometer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_e

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good thermometer to keep outside? I've bought a succession of thermometers which either don't seem to work effiectively from the start or stop working soon after.

The knack seems to be to get a large thermometer for outside. I've got a nice garden thermometer which I keep on the north side of the bee equipment shed, next to the apiary at the end of the garden. This gives a good idea of the daily air temperature without being influenced by the artificially warm apiary itself, which is south-facing and a real suntrap. I use it occasionally if I'm not sure whether to do inspections or not. As far as I can tell it performs well.

I purchased it from a local garden centre, but I should think Amazon would have it. It's made of metal, with blue "mercury". I think it's this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Outside-In-Designs-Small-Filigree/dp/B002DKMH4C/ref=pd_sim_diy_1
i.e. "small metal filigree". Or the "West large metal filigree". Both are actually quite large: about 16".

Thanks both - great replies. One hi-tec and one low tech. I've just bought the low tech one from Amazon, and I'll think about the hi-tech one as a fun gadget.

I did buy one of those wireless weather stations about three years ago. It was admittedly a cheap one, but the outside sensor took two AAA batteries which turned out to need replacing about once every two weeks. Each time I had to press buttons to re-connect the base station to the sensor, and this lasted about three changes before the whole lot went in the bin.

So I'll be reading the recommendations in that other post carefully before I decide on another one!

I use a mercury in glass maximum and minimum thermometer
Must be 50 years old... designed for schools meteorology program also have the original 5 " copper rain gauge... the anemometer was stolen years ago!

I use a mercury in glass maximum and minimum thermometer
Must be 50 years old... designed for schools meteorology program also have the original 5 " copper rain gauge... the anemometer was stolen years ago!

Personally I would go for a Max Min of good quality if I didn't already have something. Having said that I have a Casio "Weather Station" which takes the temp out doors. Runs on 2 AA Has survived being immersed in flood water at least twice and needs new batteries every 9 to 12 months.

Started with a simple thermometer on the door post. Readable through the window to work out how thick a coat is needed. Now added a battery powered 'weather station' which was on offer at Maplin. Sensors and base take quite a few batteries between them, but having run them for around 3 years there has only been one battery change.

The anemometer isn't really useful because I don't have a good mounting place, it's tethered to the temperature sensor. The minimum and maximum are useful, and the rain gauge. Tend to use them for the garden as much as for the bees. There is an official manned weather station a few miles away and it's sometimes surprising how different my sheltered pitch is.

Back