funny old spring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
blackthorn finished some time ago....OSR came out a week or two ago and now, quite late for here, hawthorn is just coming out

are others seeing the cool spring delay the spring flow in your areas?

Hawthorn still a while off.Some Sycamore in flower but others only just in leaf.Dandelions seem to have gone over pretty quickly. loads of Cherry blossom and apples in flower .

Nope, everything in flower here. Hawthorn in full bloom. All apple and quince blossom out, horse chestnut in full flower, field maple still going. Not much nectar coming in though. Not quite warm enough

Nope, everything in flower here. Hawthorn in full bloom. All apple and quince blossom out, horse chestnut in full flower, field maple still going. Not much nectar coming in though. Not quite warm enough
one of my apiraies (which is always the best) is packing it in as usual....they get off to a great start with a lot of willow and then capitalise on spring flowers and probably some OSR....a few demareed with middle supers full and needing top supers etc

i thought hawthorn was late...usually immediately follows blackthorn and before apple etc (which is all out now)

We’ve had everything flowering around me and sycamore is well out, there’s been little income though. The late May gap is likely to be more pronounced I suspect! Let’s hope the brambles start early and that’s normally the beginning of June.

Horse chestnut now in full bloom, sycamores only days away, hawthorn out, dandelions have gone to seed, there's all the usual stuff in flower but not much nectar coming home - too cold I think and there's been so much rain that the girls are really busy when it's not raining but the intervals are short lived. Not going to be a good spring for me I fear.

Strangely some of my apiary’s have bought in very little nectar and others I’ve just had to put on a 4th super and some of these are nowhere near OSR.
I have no idea where they are getting it from but long may it continue.

Seems like quite a good spring in London probably aided by the extra heat we get and the rain does not seem to have been a limiting factor. Got 2 supers on and plan to add a third today. The garden is reeking of nectar at the minute with all the Horse Chestnut. If we get any sort of gap it will just be for a week or so and I was looking at photos from last year and the lime was in flower on 10 June. From start of July our season is drawing to a close really as it’s mainly garden and tube line scraps for the bees.

And good to see that the Swifts arrived about a week ago. Always keep an eye out for them in the skies overhead.

Latest posts

Back