Fuel for Smokers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Scavenger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone know what would be the best fuel for smokers. I know it's a daft question but I know it has to be a cool smoke. I have been told all sorts of stuff, you can burn in a smoker but I want to get it right at the start.

i like using chipped straw. can be got from most coop and animal shops. stays cool for 20 mins and then can be fed and tamed down for another 10-15 mins or so at close to full work. if its just a puff here and there its much longer lasting. a scrap of toilet paper to start it works a treat aswell.

i like using chipped straw. can be got from most coop and animal shops. stays cool for 20 mins and then can be fed and tamed down for another 10-15 mins or so at close to full work. if its just a puff here and there its much longer lasting. a scrap of toilet paper to start it works a treat aswell.

I agree with newportbuzz i use animal chipped bedding straw cheap from a pet shop easy to light a small hand full in bottom of your smoker drop a match on it and let it burn with a few puffs then fill up with more straw till nice and compacted will last ages.

Many thanks, again, all. I have a workshop in which I build my hives. I run pine boards through my thickness plainer and get pine chips. I am storing some in a Hessian sack so would that be ok to use. I could start it with the hessian then add the pine chips.

Wood shavings and/or rotten wood.

Pellets smolder nicely

I have found that wood shavings light easily and then a handful of Smoker Pellets from Thornes or BJ Sherriff (and no doubt others) smolder really nicely for an hour or so.
Once I'm done I pour the contents of the smoker, still alight, into an airtight tin, (I use an Iffy coffee tin which came from Tesco) seal the lid which stops the smoldering and you then have a part burnt supply ready for next time.
I've noticed that the Smoker Pellets look very much like pony nuts and cat litter so next time I need some I think I might experiment with these instead

Once I'm done I pour the contents of the smoker, still alight, into an airtight tin, (I use an Iffy coffee tin which came from Tesco) seal the lid which stops the smoldering and you then have a part burnt supply ready for next time.

Carve up a cork so it fits the smoker nose.

Save yourselves a fortune and take a breath of fresh air in the woods and pick up rotted wood (the stuff that crumbles in your hand) and dry it in the shed or greenhouse. Stay away from man made products as these can contain chemicals

Thanks all, again. I now have lots of ideas before I start my hives. First nuc arriving, 2nd week in June. Getting excited!!

Carve up a cork so it fits the smoker nose.

or bung the smoker nozzle up with a tight twist of grass - the ordinary kind - and save having to keep an extra tin with you to store the coals in....

Thanks all. I had to rush out, last night, to grab a swarm out from a friends hedge and your tips worked well. That was my first time to get a swarm and I must say my trousers tightened up!! All went well and it is hunkered up in a spare hive in my apiary.

Back