smokers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a handful of the semi shredded stuff used with packaging. It works well but seems to leave a lot of reside stuck on the grid of the smoker. As such I may go back to foraging for twigs under the oaks.

a) lasts longer and b) lights easier
Most cardboard has carcinogenic treatments in its manufacture.
As Jules said, some cardboard also contains fire-retardent but any that doesn't burns too quickly, whether flaming or smoking. Try using eggbox as a starter; it burns well but slowly. Avoid the box lid: glue and label; get a good flame going.

For main fuel try dry woodchip (my choice) or dry rotten wood from above ground (Finman reckoned that birch has the lowest tar content) or wood shavings. Robin gave me oak shavings to try and they worked well. Bang the smoker once the lot is burning, to fill the voids around the eggbox scraps. Pack with fuel and you should have several hours of smoke.

As such I may go back to foraging for twigs under the oaks.
Just remember, especially if there are dog walkers around that not everything brown and sticky........is a stick

would wooden pellet cat litter work? or is it treated, I can't find any information to say that it would be harmful.

I've heard that alfalfa horse feed pellets are good, but as they come in 20kg bags I've never wanted to buy that amount as a trial.
If you've got mains electricity then a hot air paint stripper directed into the top, or even into the nozzle of a closed smoker makes a good tool to persuade it to get going

I've heard that alfalfa horse feed pellets are good, but as they come in 20kg bags I've never wanted to buy that amount as a trial.
If you've got mains electricity then a hot air paint stripper directed into the top, or even into the nozzle of a closed smoker makes a good tool to persuade it to get going
One of my SBI's uses grass pellets which seem to work really well but they are not the most fragrant of fuel!

Latest posts

Back