smokers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildflower 123

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been using some rolled up corregated fibre board in my smoker. I am looking for ideas for fuel which a) lasts longer and b) lights easier. What does everyone use in their smokers?

Dried straw from the strawberry beds to start it off, then a mix of dried moss raked from the lawn and saw dust from the builders merchant (I bought a £5 bag 4 years ago and I'm now half way through it).

Any old rubbish I can find, twigs leafs, lumps of slumgum, old Brocken up frames, bit of petrol lighter fluid a match and I’m away

If you use anything damp/rotten then you are steaming your bees.
Ah -so that's what that "cool white smoke "is:unsure:
Great for your Scandinavian breeds that are partial to a sauna.

Small chunks of wood offcuts from the workshop are ideal and makes use of otherwise scrap material.
Half fill with dry fuel ,lid off ,blowlamp until the fuel is alight and flaming.
Wait until you have black grey charcoal that will glow when bellowed.
Top right up with more dry fuel.
Lid on- off you go
Lasts half a dozen hives before a top up,rarely goes out.

Hemp straw - e.g. from equestrian supplies firms or sustainable building suppliers. Lights very easily; no prep/shredding/collection/rolling; easy to store; doesn't go out easily; carry top-up in a bag or your pocket; plenty of smoke. Just don't inhale

Shavings and sawdust from my woodturning .. it's a mix of lots of different hardwoods. I just fill the smoker to the top with it, use the kitchen blowtorch to get the centre lit and glowing grey, few puffs of the bellows and it's usually fine. Stays lit with the occasional puff of the bellows - the smoke generated is pleasant - I add a bit of dried lavender and dried orange peel when I have some.

I've tried a variety of other materials - some of them produce a very acrid smoke which I don't like from a personal viewpoint. I avoid softwoods as they contain a lot of resin.

Rotting wood works very well and I've used that as well.

Dried straw from the strawberry beds to start it off, then a mix of dried moss raked from the lawn and saw dust from the builders merchant (I bought a £5 bag 4 years ago and I'm now half way through it).
Is treated wood sawdust safe?

Is treated wood sawdust safe?
I would avoid knowingly putting extra chemicals in the smoker,but combustion of anything can create harmful by products.
Most cardboard has carcinogenic treatments in its manufacture.
In any case you can't tell what your bees have been foraging in- what did your neighbour spray those nettles with?
No point in worrying;)

Corrugated cardboard wrapped around dried lavender flower stems, lights easily and smells nice!
Ditto but with sprigs of fresh rosemary in the top! Good way to use up all the packaging from bee stuff deliveries (& less cardboard for OH to wonder what else you’ve been buying…)

Shredded cardboard to start it with the debris from hardwood briquettes packages saved through the Winter. I have used the cotton waste Thornes supply and found it very long lasting and much more pleasant than cardboard.

Ditto but with sprigs of fresh rosemary in the top! Good way to use up all the packaging from bee stuff deliveries (& less cardboard for OH to wonder what else you’ve been buying…)
Either you're not buying enough stuff or you're smoking too many bees. 😉

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back