Forum Poll

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about the forum ?

• I come here regularly and contribute to threads

Votes: 56 24.6%
  • I only come here occasionally

Votes: 34 14.9%
  • I read posts but I don't usually contribute to threads

Votes: 135 59.2%
  • I find the forum helpful and informative

Votes: 171 75.0%
  • I think the forum is a friendly and welcoming place

Votes: 72 31.6%
  • I feel the forum could be more friendly and welcoming

Votes: 61 26.8%
  • I think the forum is OK as it is now

Votes: 103 45.2%
  • I think the forum could be improved

Votes: 26 11.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My big complaint with this forum is that very often when a question is asked by someone, there will be a few answers if you are lucky and then things seem to go off topic with people posting about everything under the sun except answering the original question.
Yes ... it does that .... I would hope that people usually get a sensible answer before the train leaves the station and Laurel and Hardy arrive. However, very often a topic introduced at the start of a thread does promote some lateral thinking and whilst it does annoy some (and I fully understand why) there are many who also feel that it is one of the joys of this forum. We really should try to stick to the tread of the original thread but after 11 years of watching it happen I'm really not hopeful.

I do dislike it when politics get introduced into a beekeeping thread and as moderators we try to re-direct this sort of divergence.

In fairness, if you look back into the archives it was a lot more acrimonious a few years ago so we are improving ... albeit at beekeeping pace !

Last edited:
I have noticed that under my details for the Forum there are only two choices for gender, Male / Female. Might be time to add the third. Does not affect me the slightest tbh but it may some.

Hadn't raised the forum only started in 2015, I ahbe been a member since 2017.
Curious you mention that - I cant even see the need/reason for even having the question - the answer doesn't help in managing bees at all.

Never mind drivel, I love your last sentence.
I agree - I think even those who appear to be cantankerous in their posts, when you really need help, they are the ones who often come to the fore with more than just advice and encouragement but with practical assistance as well.

What I tend to notice is the 'seasonality' of the majority of threads. I have been on the forum for a few years now and you can be guaranteed to get the same topics being discussed over and over again. This probably shows that a lot of the newer members who post these threads never use the search function and perhaps why some of the older members drop out? I put my hand-up in saying that I don't participate to a lot of threads for this reason nor do I want to sound unhelpful by suggesting to the OPs to use the search function. Otherwise I enjoy the forum, I learn a lot from members and enjoy the usual benter.
Yes ... it does happen - in fairness the search function on here is not great and new beekeepers sometimes lack the beekeeping vocabulary to use the search function to their best advantage. Clearly, there is no requirement to answer every question and I've noticed, over the years, the people who were newbies a few years ago are often the ones bringing forward the answers from the past ... it's a self generating, self perpetuating organism.

Can we add a option to the poll “I come here to learn Finnish and about Finnish culture”?
He wlll be along shortly to assist no doubt ... He was here on the first day of the forum and despite his best efforts he's still here ... and his English is much better than my Finnish !

I have noticed that under my details for the Forum there are only two choices for gender, Male / Female. Might be time to add the third. Does not affect me the slightest tbh but it may some.

Hadn't raised the forum only started in 2015, I ahbe been a member since 2017.
I'm old fashioned but perhaps better to simply quote XX or XY chromosomes?

Third? - if only. I can't keep up to date with all the permutations of sex and gender......

My big complaint with this forum is that very often when a question is asked by someone, there will be a few answers if you are lucky and then things seem to go off topic with people posting about everything under the sun except answering the original question.

Strange that you say that: I love it when folk digress - nearly always in a humorous or anecdotal fashion. Maybe it's my age......

Ever before I became a member I was impressed reading through the non partisan/un biased 'willing to consider new ideas' contributions which were absent in other fora. That led me to explore many topics I would otherwise not have considered. As I said in another post recently a diverse, inclusive forum provides the knowledge and experiences from a broad cross section of beekeepers and helps bring the forum closer to the people it serves.
Maintaining an open mind and engageing with others free of expectations and assumptions is always a challenge. An important question to ask is “Does my own bias enable or hinder people from participating in the forum ?”

As for improvements- it's up to each of us as individuals to try to think the best of others even if disagreeing robustly and to be(e) kind. I think most on here try to do that already.
Compared to... I would say only a couple of years ago, the Forum has improved A LOT!

The one improvement to the forum I'd like to see is: at the foot of each post, add to the choice of the six 'Like' emojis: :iagree:. I did suggest this to admin a few weeks ago but without success so far.
What others would you like to see?

I’m sure the forum started in 2008
Yes, I used to spend 10 mins before work each morning reading the posts and comments. I have learned a great deal from the forum over the years about beekeeping and human nature. The beekeeping bit has generally been good the human nature bits often not so good.

The one improvement to the forum I'd like to see is: at the foot of each post, add to the choice of the six 'Like' emojis: :iagree:. I did suggest this to admin a few weeks ago but without success so far.
What others would you like to see?
If we can't add an emoji to the strap line there is nothing to stop you just adding a post, quoting the original post and adding the :iagree: emoji. It's a little bit more effort but it has the same effect.

I really enjoy my daily read of this forum,especially how robustly theories and ideas are challenged. The way that each matter is pulled apart by people with experience helps me to understand and then make my own mind up about which path to follow.

Elsewhere on the internet we are bombarded with information that agrees with us which is very limiting.

There is bound to be an occasional spat as some people take offence more easily than others but it is not often and soon passes , over all this is a very pleasant welcoming forum. Its good to take stock occasionally but are we making more of this than is necessary. Least said soonest mended.
Maybe this thread when completed could be sent to new members so they can see that the issue has been addressed.

If we can't add an emoji to the strap line there is nothing to stop you just adding a post, quoting the original post and adding the :iagree: emoji. It's a little bit more effort but it has the same effect.
:iagree: but lets get contentious and scrap the "like" button. Its a very nondescript approval button that is in the realm of the "faceless book" and really has nothing to do with this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back