Food

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think those of us who grow (at least some) of our own fruit and veg have known this for years - just judging by the taste. I make preserves - my latest is Quince and Rosehip jelly from foraged fruit is just wonderful and so stuffed with Vitamin C we should never get a cold.

We are selective about what meat we buy and you can always taste the difference between the meat from an animal that has been properly reared and fed on its normal food and allowed to grow at its own pace rather than being force reared. The other problem is that we have manipulated livestock and cross bred over the years to produce animals with high meat content that reaches maturity in half the time of their ancestors - it stands to reason that there has to be a payback somewhere and IMO it's taste that suffers. I can even taste the difference between so called 'free range' supermarket eggs and those I get from my own garden hens.

But ... the majority of people, I think, are more concerned about how little they have to pay for produce than the quality and taste of what they are eating. The ultimate effect of this is the changes in our agriculture that has had and is having such a marked effect on our environment.

Eat less and eat better ...

I find a diet of fish eggs very palatable thanks...

Fat chicken? Yes dripping in fat when you roast it. Supermarket salmon has gone the same way......horrid stuff, pale and greasy. Pargyle, you're right about the eggs too. People accuse me of putting orange dye in my sponge cakes!
They've never tasted a proper egg!

Supermarket salmon has gone the same way......horrid stuff, pale and greasy.
Never was any other way - the piscine equivalent to battery hens.
Unlike wild salmon who have ranged the oceans and fought every way to the estuary then, as they go off feeding, burning off every ounce of fat battling upstream, farmed salmon just sit in their cages get pumped full of antibiotics and other chemicals to battle sealice (as well as artificial colouring to get the meat pink) fed to them in their oily fishmeal pellets.
Salmon farming is extremely damaging to wild fish stocks as the 'cheap' food they are fed is produced by harvesting thousands of tons of 'off quota' fish such as sand eels (the staple diet of wild salmon and seatrout) thus causing a famine in the natural salmonid environment.
The massive concentration of sea louse spawn and adult lice deposited under the cages infest wild salmonid stocks compromising their health and breeding capabilities.
It also causes massive damage to the local eco system as the tons of toxic filth which is deposited under the farm cages is unbelievable,
IMHO everyone should boycott supermarket salmon.

My other half's employer uses a lot of acids and alkalis in chemical processes. In the Spring, he asked a delivery driver where he was delivering next, who said he had two separate deliveries for additives used in the food industry.
The first was pearl (pellets of) Sodium Hydroxide to be added to turkey meal because it bleaches their flesh to satisfy the consumers desire for white turkey meat (bootiful!).
The second was Nitric Acid, this was used in dilute form to the wash unripe strawberries so they are burned red and so appear ripe.
Now you know why they are so often hard and have no flavour. Presumably not always done when there is an excess in supply at peak season.
P.S. Another was that dilute Sodium Hydroxide is used to wash fruit and vegetable salads after they have been processed and prepared for packaging, to be sold in supermarkets.

Last edited:
My other half's employer uses a lot of acids and alkalis in chemical processes. In the Spring, he asked a delivery driver where he was delivering next, who said he had two separate deliveries for additives used in the food industry.
The first was pearl (pellets of) Sodium Hydroxide to be added to turkey meal because it bleaches their flesh to satisfy the consumers desire for white turkey meat (bootiful!).
The second was Nitric Acid, this was used in dilute form to the wash unripe strawberries so they are burned red and so appear ripe.
Now you know why they are so often hard and have no flavour. Presumably not always done when there is an excess in supply at peak season.
P.S. Another was that dilute Sodium Hydroxide is used to wash fruit and vegetable salads after they have been processed and prepared for packaging, to be sold in supermarkets.

Well you live and learn!! Who would have guessed.

Never was any other way - the piscine equivalent to battery hens.
Unlike wild salmon who have ranged the oceans and fought every way to the estuary then, as they go off feeding, burning off every ounce of fat battling upstream, farmed salmon just sit in their cages get pumped full of antibiotics and other chemicals to battle sealice (as well as artificial colouring to get the meat pink) fed to them in their oily fishmeal pellets.
Salmon farming is extremely damaging to wild fish stocks as the 'cheap' food they are fed is produced by harvesting thousands of tons of 'off quota' fish such as sand eels (the staple diet of wild salmon and seatrout) thus causing a famine in the natural salmonid environment.
The massive concentration of sea louse spawn and adult lice deposited under the cages infest wild salmonid stocks compromising their health and breeding capabilities.
It also causes massive damage to the local eco system as the tons of toxic filth which is deposited under the farm cages is unbelievable,
IMHO everyone should boycott supermarket salmon.

Agree but we could not supply the supermarket with enough wild salmon so it would only be for the well off.

Agree but we could not supply the supermarket with enough wild salmon so it would only be for the well off.

Is it worth the damage though?
We eat too much meat/fish. My husband is a case in point. His evening meal is not a meal unless it contains meat. For me it's a once or twice weekly treat

Just eat other fish FFS - a lot of the problems facing our wild fish stocks now are down to the British obsession with eating cod or salmon to the exclusion of everything else

Is it worth the damage though?
We eat too much meat/fish. My husband is a case in point. His evening meal is not a meal unless it contains meat.

Good on ya Stan!! :hurray:

It's taken me years to get SWMBO to realise that.

Latest posts

Back