Food

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perch are supposed to be good to eat. Although, if I ever caught a specimen perch, it would be a crime to kill it.

I heard it was awful - even disregarding the loads of little bones. Caught one about 2-3 lbs in weight up at the Usk reservoir a few years ago - they're a damn nuisance up there, I'd love a quiet word with the moron who sneaked them in there - but at least they keep the cormorants occupied.

Perch are supposed to be good to eat. Although, if I ever caught a specimen perch, it would be a crime to kill it.

My dad had a special recipe for cooking perch, first whittle the bark off a thin ash twig, thread it through the perch and cook over an open fire untill the perch is black, then discard the fish and eat the twig.

Ha-ha. I've never tried it myself. I like mackerel, sea bream. Can't stand smoked fish. Caught a pike today. I've seen bigger goldfish

Is that the one on the triangle green near Carshalton college? I used to buy chips and batter pieces, drenched in vinegar and salt, there every Tuesday when on day release at the college doing computer science as it was called back then in 1982/83 while I was at school at Stanley park high school.

I think it cost no more than 20p at the time.
No but I know the chippie you mean!
The one that cooked with real lard was in the road with the Hope and the Racehorse pubs in... ( Pound Street?) the friar and his wife could hardly fit behind the counter!... that was in the 60's when I was at Carshalton Tech!

But do you recall the "Beehive " timber hexagonal cottage on the green?

I will have to see if I can find some photos from when I was there see if it was still there when I was at college there.

Which part of Carshalton did you live was it that area? I lived in the "posh part" Carshalton beeches, not that I was ever posh lol

I will have to see if I can find some photos from when I was there see if it was still there when I was at college there.

Which part of Carshalton did you live was it that area? I lived in the "posh part" Carshalton beeches, not that I was ever posh lol

There are only 42 people on this planet... even JBM used to moor up next to my little yacht!!

Nightingale Road towards Hackbridge... Grandad had bees in Mile End Road!
1st "real" job was at BIBRA... and another beekeeper who worked along side me lurks on this forum!

It is off topic and the new season beckons!!

Best chips!... one on West Ho takes some beating in Janner Land!!

Yeghes da

even JBM used to moor up next to my little yacht!!

Hmmm - for some reason I decided to google Turnchapel earlier - many a night have I stayed at the Royal Marines base. But since I last stepped ashore there (gingerly as that is where I went home from after my injury) it's been sold off and is now a marina!!

Hmmm - for some reason I decided to google Turnchapel earlier - many a night have I stayed at the Royal Marines base. But since I last stepped ashore there (gingerly as that is where I went home from after my injury) it's been sold off and is now a marina!!

Moved my little Yacht up the Tamar now... but had to move it one evening to behind the "Fire boat" because you lot had been invited to a party!!:icon_204-2::hairpull:

Nos da

There are only 42 people on this planet... even JBM used to moor up next to my little yacht!!

Nightingale Road towards Hackbridge... Grandad had bees in Mile End Road!
1st "real" job was at BIBRA... and another beekeeper who worked along side me lurks on this forum!

It is off topic and the new season beckons!!

Best chips!... one on West Ho takes some beating in Janner Land!!

Yeghes da

We used to spend out summer holidays messing round in the wandle and over on the sewage works when we could find a hole in the fence to get through.

We used to spend out summer holidays messing round in the wandle and over on the sewage works when we could find a hole in the fence to get through.

The Wandle used to run blue, green and even purple in my infant days at Butter Hill.... now even JBM or even MBC could cast a fly with the possibility of a brownie!

NRA now the Environment Agency spent a fortune on getting a wild salmon back into the Thames.. one caught at Teddington lock some years back £30000000??

The cost of food!

Yeghes da

The Wandle used to run blue, green and even purple in my infant days at Butter Hill.... now even JBM or even MBC could cast a fly with the possibility of a brownie!

In the early 1980's part of my 'patch' was Mitcham and Morden and I used to walk over the bridge where the Wandle comes out of the Culvert near Morden Tube Station ... the kids used to throw shopping trolleys into river as they made a hissing sound as they dissolved !

Mind you, as a kid in South Yorkshire the River Don at Mexborough was a standing joke - you could not drown in it as the effluent would kill you before you got the first mouthful - We have come a long way with our rivers - Now all we have to contend with is the run off from pesticide/herbicide laden fields and the latent effects of 'purified' water being discharged into them containing god knows what drugs - it's a wonder we aren't catching two headed trout !

I've eaten Perch, Zander, Pike and Carp all on the continent and all were very tasty. I did court the idea of trying catch and eat here but growing up in the days as others have described with the state of our rivers, I've never had the confidence.

My grandfather told me great tales of the river Aman which runs through our valley - back before and after the Great War -forty or more coal mines pumping their sludge into it's short length (less than twenty miles I believe, four tinplate works on its banks, a steelworks and a chemical works. when he went swimming there after the war the water would stain his skin yellow, but it still had a very healthy (healthier than now probably) head of large brown trout, salmon and sewin as well as eels, loaches and bullheads.
You never can tell................

My grandfather told me great tales of the river Aman which runs through our valley - back before and after the Great War -forty or more coal mines pumping their sludge into it's short length (less than twenty miles I believe, four tinplate works on its banks, a steelworks and a chemical works. when he went swimming there after the war the water would stain his skin yellow, but it still had a very healthy (healthier than now probably) head of large brown trout, salmon and sewin as well as eels, loaches and bullheads.
You never can tell................

Before the post WW2 conglomerates of Monsanto et al and their ilk started pumping trillions of tons of DDT, agent Orange and other money making **** into our environment... to make the World a better place ( for the privileged few!)

Yeghes da

Back