Fondant price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that, it will be a lot easier than making my own in the future.

Last edited:
Yeah, I bought 5 boxes from Cake Stuff last month. Good stuff.

You can also buy from Bako south east without an account. £15 a box and free delivery over £50

At my association we buy the boxes of ambrosia fondant at £12.5 per box.

You can also buy from Bako south east without an account. £15 a box

:eek:

Seven and a half quid a box at Bako around here!

But then, they've probably seen that people in the South East are daft enough to pay it :D

I got 8 packs of api candy off a well known supplier for 2.50 a kilo, handy and easy to put on hives, tried making candy always ends up like bell metal. Some of my hives are very short of stores and were well fed, saw a queen bumble bee on heather in the garden. What does that tell you!!?

Spoke to my local bakers and he got me a 12.5kg pack for £13.95.

I got 8 packs of api candy off a well known supplier for 2.50 a kilo,

They're ripping you off! double the price of fondant (quadruple if you've got a bako manager who gives a good deal) and it's all the same stuff - just fondant with a fancy name in the case of 'api-candy'

You have so warm there that it you may feed 1:2 Sugar syrup. 10 kg/hive. Sugar £ 0.5/kg

I would not risk syrup at this time of the year .. temperatures are not that good and overnight quite cold.

When I give in spring emergency feeding, I have often -6C at night and +6 by day.

Forecast for Sunday in Durham is almost 15C.

Forecast of Hampshire to Friday and Saturday 10-12C.

Last edited by a moderator:
:iagree:

Maximum temperature is 6 degree's today, syrup I think not

6 C is Ok temp.

I pour 10 kg sugar as syrup into combs, and then I put the box under wintering box. Bees move syrup upstairs during one week.

Silly or not, but I have done this way 50 years, and never used fondant.
a little bit more experience in cold conditions than you have guys.

When you feed fondant, bees need diluting water outside.. It is not easy job either.

6 C is Ok temp.

I pour 10 kg sugar as syrup into combs, and then I put the box under wintering box. Bees move syrup upstairs during one week.

Silly or not, but I have done this way 50 years, and never used fondant.
a little bit more experience in cold conditions than you have guys.

When you feed fondant, bees need diluting water outside.. It is not easy job either.

I've not seen syrup fed in this way in the UK but it's interesting ...

But surely if they are moving syrup in cold conditions and then storing it in the brood area then there is a huge expenditure of energy ... with fondant they just tend to eat it not store it ?

I can't begin to imagine what it's like pouring syrup into combs and then having to lift brood boxes to put a super of syrup in combs under it ..

just interested in what appears to be a novel method of emergency feeding ... anyone else done it this way over here ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I was in England at the first half of May
10 days. Day temps were 7C at . In early morning I always scapped ice from car windows. Rape was in full bloom during my visit.

Forecast of Hampshire to Friday and Saturday 10-12C.

It's nowhere near that today and I live here :icon_204-2:

Also you are quoting maximum temperatures - there is a lot of variation at this time of the year .. we had frost the other night for a few hours although by an hour or so after dawn it had gone completely. Then the rain started ....

We get a lot of frontal weather over here and temperature can change by the hour.

Latest posts

Back