Looking for Fondant?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If my hive needs emergency feeding, I pour 5 litre 1:2 syrup into combs. I put combs into box and the box under the wintering box. Bees move the stuff insi one week into upper box near the cluster. IT works even in frost weather.

Last edited:
A good point Finman. I was adding fondant to many of mine and found one hive with a feeder still on that was still half full of thick syrup. They either didn't need it or weren't prepared to leave their cosey enclave to take it down.

A good point Finman. I was adding fondant to many of mine and found one hive with a feeder still on that was still half full of thick syrup. They either didn't need it or weren't prepared to leave their cosey enclave to take it down.

If syrup is cold, bees stay in cluster, and do not want syrup.
So happens in cold nights in September too. That is why I put syrup iinside the hive.

If my hive needs emergency feeding, I pour 5 litre 1:2 syrup into combs. I put combs into box and the box under the wintering box. Bees move the stuff insi one week into upper box near the cluster. IT works even in frost weather.

Just to clarrify you do it by pouring the syrup into empty brood combs - let it drip for a minute or so and then put the combs into a spare brood box and put it under the existing brood box ?

I've fed bees by putting syrup in combs and it works well but I've never fed them in winter like this ... interesting.

Just to clarrify you do it by pouring the syrup into empty brood combs - let it drip for a minute or so and then put the combs into a spare brood box and put it under the existing brood box ?

I've fed bees by putting syrup in combs and it works well but I've never fed them in winter like this ... interesting.

I too noted that Finman seemed to be feeding syrup in Winter, BUT was adding it within the hive so it stayed 'warm' enough for them to take.

Technically he's not opening the hive - just opening the bottom part. BUT from memory Finman has little heaters in his hives (he lives near the arctic circle) so the hive would recover from any heat loss quicker than our hives and this would also assist in heating the syrup - depending on where and how the heaters are placed.

BUT, and this could be where Finman shows his genius, by adding a relatively large amount of liquid inside the hive, which is slightly heated, he has created a Thermal Heat Storage system (like a flywheel effect from memory) that as a side effect is helping to regulate the internal hive temperature! Clever!

I too noted that Finman seemed to be feeding syrup in Winter, !

I do not feed anything in winter, because bees have got enough stores in September.

after cleansing flight ( in March) I weigh with hand, does hive has enough food.

we cannot feed fondant, because bees cannot take drinking water from snow. Snow melts in the middle of April.

I do not have heaters in winter. Only in spring build up to enlarge brood ball.

Last edited:
I
BUT, and this could be where Finman shows his genius, by adding a relatively large amount of liquid inside the hive, which is slightly heated, he has created a Thermal Heat Storage system (like a flywheel effect from memory) that as a side effect is helping to regulate the internal hive temperature! Clever!

Total imagination.

Heat store is sugar, what bees consume to generate heat. There is no side effect.

I have polyhives, which keep the bees warm.

May I ask why the extra work in putting the Syrup (1 part water : 2 parts sugar) into the combs? Why not just place a Feeder under the "wintering box"?
Like the one shown in this Link,
https://millerbeesupply.com/catalog/frame-pollensyrup-feeder-p-226.php

Or would this potentially increase the risk of increased humidity in the hive?

I wasn't aware you could place bee feed under the brood area.

May I ask why the extra work in putting the Syrup (1 part water : 2 parts sugar) into the combs? Why not just place a Feeder under the "wintering box"?

I can feed hives in every situation. I have so much experience.

I feed this way the hive only when its food is finnish. It happens only once in two years. Like this winter, I have crystallized honey frames so much that I can give the whole box of honey over the hive.

I only tell to you all how you can feed sugar syrup instead of fondant.

I do not even look my hives before they have done cleansing flight in March.

Last edited:

Bees quite often ignore a pool of syrup as in a frame feeder but comb gives them a totally different message.

If bees ignore a frame feeder it's a sign of weakness in my experience.

PH

I can feed hives in every situation. I have so much experience.
I feed this way the hive only when its food is finnish.

One day I too hope to be as experienced and modest as you my friend :)
And when that day comes all the bee's food will be irish ;-)

One day I too hope to be as experienced and modest as you my friend :)
And when that day comes all the bee's food will be irish ;-)

I am not here to ask, how to feed bees and from where to buy sugar.

. Lidl is my sugar place.

Back