Feel Good TV

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busybee53

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
none now
In these days of recession/depression and general doom and gloom am I the only one fed up with constant TV programmes about dysfunctional families? Wouldn't it be nice to see people who get on well with each other, to see their celebrations and good times? It may be a comfort to people who live alone and a role model for others. Can't we have some other cheerful programmes too? Harry Hill is doing his best but needs help. There could be a warning for people who want to stay miserable. What do you all think? If people agree is there some way to get this over to the TV companies?

Your right about Harry Hill needing help. Iv thought that for a while.

Good point johnandyrob. I like a nutter though provided he's harmless.

In these days of recession/depression and general doom and gloom am I the only one fed up with constant TV programmes about dysfunctional families? Wouldn't it be nice to see people who get on well with each other, to see their celebrations and good times? It may be a comfort to people who live alone and a role model for others. Can't we have some other cheerful programmes too? Harry Hill is doing his best but needs help. There could be a warning for people who want to stay miserable. What do you all think? If people agree is there some way to get this over to the TV companies?
:iagree: but I guess the TV companies only take account of the viewing figures.

fed up with constant TV programmes about dysfunctional families?

There are alternatives - other channels, the 'off' button, removal of the mains plug, ditch the TV.

Don't complain when there are simple alternatives, is my comment. Sorry, but you seem to be your own worst enemy with regard to this topic!

RAB

(No TV licence required could mean another one or two beehives each year to fill in some of that wasted time watching such drivel.)

Try that funny 'tv' without pictures thingy . Radio , I think its called .

Get plenty done while listening , almost worth the price of the licence fee on its own ......... nearly !

G

When I were a lad, there was a saturday morning programme called 'Why dont you...'. It was short for 'Why don't you turn off your television set and go and do something more interesting instead'.

A rare bit of wisdom from the box.

You can contact a company called IPSOS MORI - they are a statistics type company and have representatives throughout the UK. One of their functions is to collect information about what you watch and why and how you would change it if you could. A warning though be sure it what you want to do - we didn't contact them and our address was "drawn out of a hat". Our neighbour had 3 visits in one day and then one a week for three weeks until they caught up with her. A few years ago you used to apply to somewhere (can't remember where sorry) and you got a gadget to put online with your arial. This monitored when you watched and what you watched. The they came and collected it. But you did get paid for this. Dunno if it still happens but I was asked and could not do it as was away a lot.

Sadly I'm finding much the same with books. Slightly easier to tell from the reviews and dust-cover but I still get caught out, especially with biographies. I admit often I'll go for a rip-roaring read if it looks as though it's working towards a happy ending but I often end up with dross, often very well-reviewed (even prize-winning) dross.
Long time since I've had a really cheering read!

When I were a lad, there was a saturday morning programme called 'Why dont you...'. It was short for 'Why don't you turn off your television set and go and do something more interesting instead'.

A rare bit of wisdom from the box.

You must be the same age as me then. You always knew when it was school holidays because Why Don't You was on. Happy days ........................ :party:

Thanks Storm for useful info. From everyone else I get the "Don't bother watching it" point of view. Usually I don't, but just occasionally I fancy a sit down to watch and am unimpressed by what is on. There is plenty of other stuff to do. Pity the rest of the family like TV so much. Now, where's that beekeeping catalogue?

You must be the same age as me then. You always knew when it was school holidays because Why Don't You was on. Happy days ........................ :party:

LOL...the Doris!

And for those a bit older we were treated to endless repeats of:

- Robinson Crusoe (great theme music)
- The Flashing Blade (bad dubbing and a bit complicated)
- Belle and Sebastien (hated it)
- White horses (ditto)

LOL...the Doris!

And for those quite a bit older we were treated to endless repeats of:

- Robinson Crusoe (great theme music)
- The Flashing Blade (bad dubbing and a bit complicated)
- Belle and Sebastien (hated it)
- White horses (ditto)

Loved:
Champion the wonder horse
Bits and bobs
Marine Boy
The Lost Island (Sundays - Loved it)
Monkey
Swap Shop
Space 1999
The Ghosts of Motley Hall
Fantasy Island
Six Million Dollar Man
The Sweeny
Crown Court

Hated:
The Sullivans
Tis was
Rentaghost (spin off of GOMH)
Love Boat
Within These Walls

All right, here's a few more old favs:

- Casey Jones
- Water Margin
- Banana Splits
- Double Deckers
- Grasshopper Island
- All things Oliver Postgate

Most hated ever:
- Crystal Tipps and Alistair

Last edited:
All right, here's a few more old favs:

- Casey Jones
- Water Margin
- Banana Splits
- Double Deckers
- Grasshopper Island
- All things Oliver Postgate

Most hated ever:
- Crystal Tipps and Alistair

Agreed, especially Double Deckers (I was sweet on Tiger- and yes I was her age).

Also Oliver Postgate should be knighted, or preferably deified. not worthynot worthynot worthy

Omg The Water Margin. Totally forgot about that XGeordie. Brilliant. Loved it so much. I'll watch that on U Tube tomorrow lol. In fact I love films lime that now even though they are subtitled. Lucky I can just about read. Crouching tiger hidden flip flop. When they started coming out they got trashed by my mates but it's not supposed to be factually exact with regard to their abilities but rather their legends. The most beautiful cinematography IMO can be found in House of flying daggers. Stunning.

And agreed crystal tips and alistair was very near the top of most hated and eye roll causing programme that would come one. A few more.....?

The Red Hand Gang
CHIPS
Petrochelli
Hair Bear Bunch
Hong Kong Fue .... Fewi?
Bagpuss obviously
Moomins
Mumma Bubba - think that's how it's spelt
The Wolves of Woolaby Chase
Into the Labyrinth - with Ron Moody searching for the nidus.
Black Beauty
Survival - nature programme
Call My Bluff
Box of Delights
The Phoenix and the Flying Carpet
The Beachcombers
Chopper Squad

Oh the memories .......

In these days of recession/depression and general doom and gloom am I the only one fed up with constant TV programmes about dysfunctional families?

Hey, don't knock dysfunctionality! Pays my mortgage.
And there's plenty of it on this Forum!
Life would be so boring if everyone was 'normal'.

I totally agree! It's why I prefer shows like Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek - a bit of fantasy can be a great distraction from all the depressing game shows, reality tv shows, and bickering family sitcoms!

Latest posts

Back