Feeding bees in our curious Autumn

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeMoustashe

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Evening all, second beginners question I've posted on here but I'd rather get opinions than not!

Currently have the one hive (hence my keeness to do what I can to get them through the winter), which was well fed with 10 kg of 2:1 syrup in late september (or was it mid?). I hefted the hive yesterday with a pull weight on the back, which read 17kg- which can roughly be doubled to give the full hive weight (I believe).

Question is, with their autumnal activity, do I need to slap on some ambrosia yet, if not, when? Plan was to err on the side of caution and whack on a bag (2.5kg) at the weekend and see how much they take down, then a bit more in december, or am I woefully underestimating how much they may need?

cheers for your time, guys.

many are reporting bees taking 1kg of fondant a week at the moment.

however sounds like your hive is well stocked for now.

Those were the reports I read and paniced! Well more fondant ready just in case. Figured they were stocked well but... well, you never can tell with bees :rofl:

But read other threads and you will find dire warnings about beginners (e.g. me) overfeeding and the risk of early swarms. Also people declaring that fondant should never be needed in UK conditions unless there is some major problem and no stores left

Ho hum - you pays yer money....

You need to study the mysterious art of hefting!!

I'm afraid the bees will nosh away as and when they need to, and the timing will change each year depending on all the usual factors (existing stores, type of bee, cold, colony size, robbing, activity levels etc etc). You just have to be extra careful to check the weight of stores at times like this, when a burst of warm-weather activity can either increase or decrease stores quite abruptly depending on availability of forage.

If in doubt, I'd keep the fondant on standby and also try and nab an experienced beek who can give you an idea of when you are hefting a well-stocked hive (you should hardly be able to lift it) and when extra food is needed.

If you still can't decide, I would err on the side of over-feeding; after all, a swarm in spring can be caught, and at least means that your bees are alive. A starved colony is a depressing sight indeed....

I was at a bee convention on Saturday and the bee inspector said we should be feeding them fondant because they are so active and using up their winter stores - I shot home and made up some and put it on the next morning - got a thumbs up from them all!

Is it really possible to overfeed bees?

At this time of the year - no.

For other times - yes.

I am going to put some Fondant on and have read to use takeaway containers over Crown Board hole.

I am just a little nervous about what sized slit/holes to put in lid as I understand that is best way to put container on inverted with fondant inside?:willy_nilly:

Thanks in advance for help

I put the fondant in the clear containers that supermarket mushrooms come in and place it inverted over the feed hole in the crown board, since it's clear I can keep an eye on it, I don't slit or put a hole in the bottom of the box

John

Some of our hives that were very heavy in mid October are becoming perceptibly lighter - there is not a lot of forage about, and during the last week the clouds of bees outside the hives have looked more like July than November. So they've been tearing through winter stores as they are extremely active. I've got fondant on the lightest ones already, and will be hefting all of them pretty regularly.

I have been feeding Ambosia for the last month....All thats gone down and now I m back to feeding only the lighter colonies strong syrup. Colonies still have brood and are still taking the syrup though alittle slower now. I will cease feeding in about a week.
Poly nucs still lighter than I want them ....
I expect to have all the viable hives feeling like they re nailed to the stands.....!

I am going to put some Fondant on and have read to use takeaway containers over Crown Board hole.

I am just a little nervous about what sized slit/holes to put in lid as I understand that is best way to put container on inverted with fondant inside?:willy_nilly:

Thanks in advance for help

no need for a lid if you invert the container over the feeding hole

I'm still feeding strong syrup. It's not crystallising and the bees are taking it at the rate of about a litre a day. Fondant is on order and to judge by the weight of the hives I'll be using it throughout the winter. Yesterday we had what looked like orientation flights outside both the hives in my garden. Wasps are a really big problem at the moment. I'm praying for a hard frost.

Wasps have suddenly become a problem (SO LATE) for me too. Put out some traps made from lemomade bottles with the tops cut out and inverted... yesterday.....

I really think too late in the season for syrup now. They have to store, convert and seal if they are to use till February.
Stick on clear containers of fondant- so you can see what they are using. More look don't disturb technique... then pack insulation all around that container. Keep that heat in.

I wrap blocks of fondant in clingfilm and slice a cross in it - about 3in length and 1in across the middle, then plonk that on the hole in the crown board, slice- down.

Mine have been munching from it, but not a lot. They don't appear to have a lot of stores ,and are bringing in a lot of what I suspect might be ivy pollen. Worrying.

But then I worry about everything.

Has anyone used bakers fondant? I ask because I have a source of white bakers fondant from a cake making relative if I want it.

Bakers fondant is what most of us mean when we talk about fondant

Oh my goodness!! I will never get all that stuff in a chinese takeaway container, nor mushroom plastic box as not that "mushroom" in either!!!

Have these bees no stores whatsoever??

As a novice all the information this year is at odds of when I joined in winter Jan 20011 - but the it had already snowed in mid November 20101, whereas this year still tee-shirt weather!!:willy_nilly:

Latest posts

Back