Spring Varroa treatment and feeding suggestions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon.21

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I’ve overwintered 2 colonies on 14x12’s with OMF and got a couple of questions as it’s my first spring beekeeping. They are flying when it’s warm so all looks ok and have been weighing each month.

Question 1
I carried out an autumn varroa treatment of Apivar for 6weeks and done nothing over the winter. What’s the best option for me now to treat for varroa in spring ?

Question 2
I’ve weighed an empty hive with luggage scales and it’s around 15kg and ive assumed 3kg for frames, wax and bees so that makes 18kg with out stores. The current weight of the 2 hives is 33kg and 35kg so by my reckoning I have 15kg and 17kg of stores in the hives. Should I leave and keep monitoring the weight and if so when do I worry or do I put some bakers fondant on anyway which I have just to be on the safe side?

thanks in advance for your help

Depends how mild it is where you are but they might take syrup down, otherwise fondant. My view is it's better to overfeed than underfeed.

Some form of oxalic acid sublimation is probably best. Plenty on the forum about it if you need specifics.

My red line for overwintering stores is 5kg
I wouldn't do anything about varroa till you open up in the spring. Do a sugar roll to see how bad the infestation is and take it from there

Feeding is a balancing act. Too little and they may die. Too much and queen might find nowhere to lay and you get sugar syrup in your honey. At those weights I would not worry, probably enough to take you through to the first flows, but continue to monitor as stores use accelerates around now

I’ve overwintered 2 colonies on 14x12’s with OMF and got a couple of questions as it’s my first spring beekeeping. They are flying when it’s warm so all looks ok and have been weighing each month.

Question 1
I carried out an autumn varroa treatment of Apivar for 6weeks and done nothing over the winter. What’s the best option for me now to treat for varroa in spring ?

Question 2
I’ve weighed an empty hive with luggage scales and it’s around 15kg and ive assumed 3kg for frames, wax and bees so that makes 18kg with out stores. The current weight of the 2 hives is 33kg and 35kg so by my reckoning I have 15kg and 17kg of stores in the hives. Should I leave and keep monitoring the weight and if so when do I worry or do I put some bakers fondant on anyway which I have just to be on the safe side?

thanks in advance for your help

Well done, your winter preparations were clearly good as you have a vast amount of food in those hives. Absolutely no need for feeding (and doing so would needlessly risk contaminating your honey crop later).

You probably don't need to do a spring varroa treatment, but keep an eye on the hives when you start inspecting, just in case.

Question 1
Question 2
The current weight of the 2 hives is 33kg and 35kg so by my reckoning I have 15kg and 17kg of stores in the hives.

1. I guess most folk on the forum treat for varroa in late August/early autumn - so that the autumn-born bees are in the best condition to survive the winter. Again, I have the impression that most beeks then treat with one application of oxalic acid (trickled or vaped) late December/early January when sealed brood is at a minimum = varroa at their most susceptible.

2. My hives are currently weighing 27-32 kg so you should be OK.

Has anyone put dye in the syrup to see where it is stored and how long it takes to be eaten? If so, what colour and did it have any effect on the bees?

Does anyone know what an empty WBC hive weighs (stand, lifts, floor and roof)?
If it helps - I estimated my WBC to weigh 32kg for base, floor, 2 lifts. brood box, 10x 14x12 frames, crownboard and super with 200mm insulation, roof and bees.
I estimated the stored honey going into winter was 14kg giving me a total weight of 46kg. The hive weighed 23kg on a spring balance lifting one side.

Latest posts

Back