Hive weight analysis

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringlander

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
So, it's cold and grey up here in Norfolk, the Suduko book in the loo is finished and I started doing some simple sums on the back page instead.

My 14x12 Maisemore poly hives weigh in at give or take 13kg filled with 11 empty drawn frames and with a miller feeder on the top. If I take a figure of 20kg of stores as a sensible target to aim for in November then that suggests the minimum weight of the whole thing should be around a minimum of 35kg allowing (a probably excessive, I don't know) 2kg for brood and bees.

A typical 14x12 frame full of stores seems to weigh in at about 4kg, of which 0.5 kg is the frame itself. 20kg therefore equates to about 5.5 frames of stores. If the hive was completely full of stores leaving no space for any brood the total stores mass would be around 38.5kg and the hive in total would weigh in at 51.5kg plus bees.

If my sums are right then this suggests that I can monitor the weights of the hives during the build up to the winter, using the change in weights over time to determine when and how much to feed to achieve a total hive weight of say 40kg in November, which should be leaving at least 3.5 frames of brood space. The advantage of this being I do not need to go digging around inside the brood chamber too often. Thereafter I can continue to weigh to determine the rate of stores consumption over the winter without disturbing the bees and then know for sure if I need to add fondant in the spring. A sensible minimum spring weight for the whole hive looks to be around 25kg, which equates to about 3 frames of stores and 8 frames of brood space.

I appreciate that many of you more experienced beekeepers rely on hefting and practical experience to achieve the same, but does this sould like a viable approach for a relative newcomer who likes measuring things? Do my figures for amount of stores, brood mass etc seem sensible?

Your thoughts, as always, appreciated.

WiFi Hive weight scale available from Abelo is the answer I suspect. Near realtime weight stats. Tempted to get one myself.

You can grab an empty weight, with frames and foundation, you can add the frames of stores and brood you have then when you feed you will know the weight of the feed added and how it then reduces etc though the winter / season.

I run Abelo and Swienty 14x12 with home made wooden UFE and aim for around 30/35 kg with maybe 40 for the odd wood hive. Easily gets me through the winter with stores to spare by end March

It has been researched that when bees move syrup from the feeder to combs and cap the dry syrup, 24% out of original sugar has been used as fuel in the storing proces.

One way is to feed the one box hive full of syrup, as much as bees take it, and that is very cortect.

20 kg sugar is an average amount per hive, where the apiary may have one brood hives and double brood hives. Colonies in a hive may be big or small. 20 kg is not a real amount of sugar to every hive. To some hive you may give 28 kg sugar.

Actually combs should be full of syrup. Otherwise bees do not cap the cells. You may see, that only 1/3 out of combs are capped and the rest are ooen the whole winter.

I run Lang Jumbos - about 10% bigger than 14x12s (which feel awful when handling - unbalanced vs a Lang Jumbo)

I reckon on floor plus super (nadired) plus BBox + CB weight of 40kgs as Tops. before winter. Anything over 35kg is good. Under 30kg is a disaster.
(I run wooden plus 50mm poly covers so equivalent of poly hive. Roofs are anything between 50 m to 150mm thick)

Latest posts

Back