Extracting honey without an extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenovice

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, It is my first year as a beekeeper, and my hive seems to be doing quite well. The bees are covering all brood frames, with a mixture of brood and stores. I have a super on with about four frames of stores.
What I would like to do is take a frame or two of honey so that I can have a taste. I know it may seem like a big faff to all you people who have loads of honey but it would be my first try.
My question is, can you extract it without an extractor? is there a method by where it will fall out under gravity. How much honey can I expect from a frame? A Jar full maybe?
If you would strongly advise against taking a frame or two, then please say.

Scrape the honey and comb out into a sieve then leave to drain over a bowl. Only scrape it back as far as the foundation.

You should get 2 to 2 1/2 lbs per frame.
If they have stores in the brood box and you are feeding after treating then go ahead and take some. If you are treating with thymol then you will be taking the lot off anyway.
You will have to crush and strain so you will lose drawn comb.
Savour that first mouthful and marvel at your first jar....it's a "wonderful thing"

Choose a warm sunny room to let the honey drain.. warm honey flows much easier than cold..

I have drained a few I missed after extracting. Oops.
Cut the cappings off and put frame upside down in a large container. I.e. Opposite way up to in super.
Got quite a lot out and did not have to damage the drawn comb.

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk 2

Hi, It is my first year as a beekeeper, and my hive seems to be doing quite well. The bees are covering all brood frames, with a mixture of brood and stores. I have a super on with about four frames of stores.
What I would like to do is take a frame or two of honey so that I can have a taste. I know it may seem like a big faff to all you people who have loads of honey but it would be my first try.
My question is, can you extract it without an extractor? is there a method by where it will fall out under gravity. How much honey can I expect from a frame? A Jar full maybe?
If you would strongly advise against taking a frame or two, then please say.

I have a 3 frame manual extractor you could borrow or rent.....in excellent order.......

S

We did the same - just one comb on Saturday, from our top bar. We cut the comb about an inch from the top and then put it back, and drained the comb (cut into pieces) through the foot bit of a pair of tights over a big glass jar, propped up by a fork and left it in a warm cupboard overnight.

We got about 2 decent jar-fulls from that, plus some on our toast yesterday - delicious:)

Scrape the honey and comb out into a sieve then leave to drain over a bowl. Only scrape it back as far as the foundation.

Only alteration I'd suggest would be using a (jam-making) jelly bag rather than a sieve. And a warm, dust-free place definitely helps!
A spoon is as good as anything for scraping back to the mid rib.

And if you give the frames back to the bees (above a crownboard with a reduced hole in it), the bees will scavenge the scraps of honey from the frame and relocate it into the brood box.

After getting bored once the drips from the crushed comb have become REALLY slow, try washing the remaining sticky wax with some cheap spirits. Pack the wax into a jar, put in some booze, seal the jar. Shake the jar when you are passing. You should get a nicely 'honeyed' booze. And cleaner wax.
After straining off the wax, wash it with cold (soft or rain) water, let it dry completely and then put it away safely (sealed box) as the start of your collection for making candles, polish, lip balm or whatever - maybe even foundation.

And if you give the frames back to the bees (above a crownboard with a reduced hole in it), the bees will scavenge the scraps of honey from the frame and relocate it into the brood box.

Oh yes we gave them back the empty comb too, it's only fair.

here's a different method.... 2 pieces of string tied to the lugs and then the bottom of the frame so the weight is on the lugs but the frame is held inverted. hold the frame and strings so that you can "bungy jump" it above a tray. i.e drop it but stop it just short of the tray on the two strings in the inverted position.

The force of deceleration will dislodge the honey...

A nice sticky experiment.. :)

here's a different method.... 2 pieces of string tied to the lugs and then the bottom of the frame so the weight is on the lugs but the frame is held inverted. hold the frame and strings so that you can "bungy jump" it above a tray. i.e drop it but stop it just short of the tray on the two strings in the inverted position.

The force of deceleration will dislodge the honey...

A nice sticky experiment.. :)

DOH!!!! Not your finest hour Derek :icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

How about putting the uncapped frame into a plastic container, tying a long string to it and whirling it round and round your head? ;)

it might work :)
I might be rash enough to try it!

Knock yerself out fella :rofl::rofl:

I think you owe it to all your friends on here to let us see the piccy's of your experiment.....

Standing by....

How about putting the uncapped frame into a plastic container, tying a long string to it and whirling it round and round your head? ;)

Yep, old extractors worked like that but not over your head. A broomstick with a conical type container attached, one side to hold the uncapped frame and the other to catch the honey. Cant remember how they spun it though, looked easy.

Get the frame, scoop off the honey, comb and all and spread it on your toast :D tried some cut comb this year just for the hell of it and for gifts/showing. Taken one frame off so far and decided rather than waste the offcuts I'd try it meself for the first time ever :drool5: (now addicted, don't think there'll be many cut comb Christmas prezzies :D )

Latest posts

Back