Which honey extractor?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterbees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We run a popular Honey Extractor Kit hire scheme for members of Conwy Beekeepers.
We're having a great spring honey harvest.
Which 4-frame honey extractor would you recommend to improver beekeepers now wanting to buy their first extractor, instead of hiring our equipment?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I have this one from Abelo who price it at £330 though they often do deals. I got mine for £290
SS. Takes four super frames or two brood frames National or 14x12.
https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/extractors/manual-4-frame-tangential-extractor-optima-line/It's great for a small extraction when I don't want to get the monster out
The small manual plastic thornes one is so easy to clean which is important for a group. Might be more expensive but mine has lasted over 35 years!

The small manual plastic thornes one is so easy to clean which is important for a group. Might be more expensive but mine has lasted over 35 years!
Their table top one was the first I ever bought. And I still have it. Doesn’t take brood frames though

Nowadays there’s not a huge amount of difference between some of the good smaller models and larger even electric examples.
Not saying larger is better but extracting soon looses its novelty😂..Am guessing though that for an association storage and transportation are also factors.

I have a large electric extractor and after a few years of a small 'turn the handle' job it makes extracting much more of a pleasure and less of a chore - the downside is that unless I'm going to be extracting a fair few supers it's a bit of a trial to get it out, set it up and clean it afterwards. I could do with a small one just for extracting the occasional few frames or a super full of a particular honey. But then, of course, it needs to be stored and hidden from 'er indoors who is noticing the rapidly encroaching onward march of beekeeping kit ....

I bought the Unimel from T when I started a few years ago. It was relatively cheap at the time but virtually every extraction something breaks - there are lots of parts of the cage that just fell off and it is now almost unusable. Considering its done about 10 extractions and I'm going to have to look for another no longer feels cheap/value for money.

Ive been borrowing a friends extractor for a while now and I was going to buy one from Abelo as in Erichalfbee's post when I stumbled upon a SAF Natura on eBay. It is manual of course and only takes 4 shallows at a time but it will also take 2 standard brood and two 14x12 plus another odd size that I use. For my scale it was a snip at less than £200 delivered and came with a bucket sieve a dreaded uncapping knife and around 30 jars. Everything except the box it came in, which is the original, looks brand new, probably used just once.

Latest posts

Back