Examining a Flow Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I'm not convinced that Flow Frames make any sort of economic sense, I've been thinking about the options for extracting less viscous honeys like ivy out of them.

There is an option that might prove to be an advantage over a beeswax frame! (never thought I'd say so myself)

What temperature can the plastic that Flow Frames are made from be heated without causing damage to them?

Beeswax melts at around 62C and wax frames will deform under their own weight at much lower temperatures than that, but a flow frame could be gently heated so that while not damaging the honey it would persuade it to flow, at a warmer temperature than would be possible with beeswax frames.

While I'm not convinced that Flow Frames make any sort of economic sense, I've been thinking about the options for extracting less viscous honeys like ivy out of them.

There is an option that might prove to be an advantage over a beeswax frame! (never thought I'd say so myself)

What temperature can the plastic that Flow Frames are made from be heated without causing damage to them?

Beeswax melts at around 62C and wax frames will deform under their own weight at much lower temperatures than that, but a flow frame could be gently heated so that while not damaging the honey it would persuade it to flow, at a warmer temperature than would be possible with beeswax frames.

You would still end up with wax in the honey. The bees seal up the plastic frames with wax, not only where they are capped but where they come apart.

The Apimelter runs at 80 deg C on top... 60 deg C on bottom ( waterbath)
I have put plastic ( Apidea type) frames in and ended up with somewhat bent and distorted unusable items.
Was experiment as steamer completely ruined them.

I guess that the Flow's hive frames would be unusable if subjected to any heat.

Mytten da

The Apimelter runs at 80 deg C on top... 60 deg C on bottom ( waterbath)
I have put plastic ( Apidea type) frames in and ended up with somewhat bent and distorted unusable items.
Was experiment as steamer completely ruined them.

I guess that the Flow's hive frames would be unusable if subjected to any heat.

Mytten da

:iagree: The softer the plastic the quicker it would deform. Keeping the frames at near to hive temperature in a warming cabinet should be OK. Too high a temperature would deform the moveable parts invalidating any warranty

:iagree: The softer the plastic the quicker it would deform. Keeping the frames at near to hive temperature in a warming cabinet should be OK. Too high a temperature would deform the moveable parts invalidating any warranty

Here is the relevant information about the Flow frame
Flow frame sterilisation / irradiation / disease control
In: Frequently Asked Questions Viewed: 5,659 times

Heat treatment: Flow frames can handle hot water up to 70˚c

Chemical treatment: The plastics chosen have good chemical resistance. We will be testing various chemicals to evaluate this soon.

Irradiation: We have tested the Flow frame parts with multiple doses of 15kgy Gamma rays. We load tested the irradiated parts and tested them to destruction. The results were: 1 dose had little effect. 2 doses had minimal effect. 3 doses and the plastic was significantly more brittle. We will be testing further to see if this causes any failures but at this stage we can say the Flow frames can handle being sterilised with 15kgy gamma twice.

It will be interesting to see what the relevant information will be from the NBU, as that is what will matter in this country.

It will be interesting to see what the relevant information will be from the NBU, as that is what will matter in this country.

People were asking about how much warmth the frames could cope with without distorting.
I have no idea what the NBU will say needs to be done with them in the case of infection. They are not used for brood but in the case of AFB.....? My guess is that they will be in the same group as apimaye hives, for instance.

Flow frame sterilisation / irradiation / disease control
In: Frequently Asked Questions Viewed: 5,659 times

Heat treatment: Flow frames can handle hot water up to 70˚c

Chemical treatment: The plastics chosen have good chemical resistance. We will be testing various chemicals to evaluate this soon.

Irradiation: We have tested the Flow frame parts with multiple doses of 15kgy Gamma rays. We load tested the irradiated parts and tested them to destruction. The results were: 1 dose had little effect. 2 doses had minimal effect. 3 doses and the plastic was significantly more brittle. We will be testing further to see if this causes any failures but at this stage we can say the Flow frames can handle being sterilised with 15kgy gamma twice.

I would use a temperature of 60℃ for hot water no higher.

I wonder how many beeks have informed the NBU they have flow frames in order to train their SBI's.

No need. According to the UK FB page Flow are sending our inspectorate a new set-up. Mind you, it will take a year to come, the frames will come separately and the box will have to be sanded and chiselled to put it together

I've always found a toothpick helps to get the bits out of your teeth!

There's no answer to that

No need. According to the UK FB page Flow are sending our inspectorate a new set-up. Mind you, it will take a year to come, the frames will come separately and the box will have to be sanded and chiselled to put it together

I've always found a toothpick helps to get the bits out of your teeth!

There's no answer to that

As long as you are not chomping at the bit! If it is going to take a year then flow frame owners should notify their SBI's.

It would speed up the process if there was EFB or AFB. Otherwise there would be emails back and for to OZ. The NBU would not want to damage the frames unnecessarily.

Well both diseases are notifiable in Australia just like here in the UK and just like here affected colonies with AFB are destroyed. The only sterilising option, though, is gamma irradiation. They burn plastic hives there.
So in answer to your question I suspect one call to the NBU OZ equivalent would be sufficient to set the protocol.

It would speed up the process if there was EFB or AFB. Otherwise there would be emails back and for to OZ. The NBU would not want to damage the frames unnecessarily.

No understandee - destroying them wouldn't need instructions from Australia. and I'm sure our SBI's are capable of doing that without damaging the frames unneccessarily :D

And as an aside - I very much doubt BDI would even consider a different compensation rate for floo fames

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back