Epipens, their use and possible dangers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you need an Epipen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
only 54 deaths attributable to bee stings

Try telling those 54 family's that, and do you think that they would have been happy for someone to jab them with a pen, I know I would if it was a member of my family.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=vGE-kM-FA8w

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSOreaI9CXc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUNe3JtDvL4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBLaDXa6pE[/ame]

Just so you all know :)

Excellent and very useful videos - within limits.

Note that 1 and 3 do not mention using someone else's Epipen. 3, clearly the American equivalent of First Aid at Work, states that if the casualty cannot use his own pen the first aider can assist if the state and work site allow it.

2 (in, I assume, India) does say that epinephrine should be given and says nothing about it being the victims own Epipen - but also says that intravenous fluids may be needed. This, to me, makes it clear that the information is intended for trained professionals.

I believe everything I read on wikipedia, and everything I see on YouTube. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
yesterday afternoon my bees decided to crawl down a gap in my gloves and sting me multiple times.................................i began to panic a little as my lips were swollen to the point where i was finding it difficult to speak ..... I was rushed stright through a&e on arrival as i looked a bit of a sight by then and they tried to begin treatment though this proved difficult as my arms were swollen to the point that they struggled to fine my veins......i was kept in overnight for monitoring..............the doctor i saw this morning said it wasn't a complete anaphylactic shock as they had adrenaline ready but didn't need to use it as i began to inprove on my own, but i would just have to wait to see how i react in the future. I was wondering whether anyone has experienced anything similar and found it to be a one off, or if it could happen again, or indeed be worse than last time.
I have been keeping bees for 3 years and have never had a problem like this, i love beekeeping and would hate to give it up but on the way in the car i was thinking that as i have 3 children is it sensible to take any more risks.
I know there are some doctors and people with experience of this kind of thing out there, and any advive or opinions would be appreciated.many thanks.

It's a good job he wasn't assaulted by some "boy scout" brandishing an epipen!

Hi there.

I was tested and diagnosed allergic by my allergy clinic after inconsistant systemic reactions. I could be stung 4 times without a reaction, then again once with a reaction.
The reaction has never been life threatening so far. I was issued an epipen, anti-histamine and cortisone tablets. I have used the anti-histamine tabs on two occasions, the cortisone in combination only once.

I am taking part in a desensitising program which seems to be doing me good. I was stung 5 times in the past 4 weeks and had no reaction appart from the normal swelling.
I only take the tablets when I have been stung and a systemic reaction is occurring.
My friends/family have been briefed on how to use the epipen on me should I no longer be able to use it on myself.

I have my medication in my beekeeping box.

Phil

I had a reasonably bad reaction to a sting last week. While I took myself off to hospital and have subsequently been prescribed an Epipen I still don't think that people that should be trying to carry them as a matter of course. My reaction was fairly bad, but it wasn't anaphylactic and a few steroids and some antihistamines bought it back under control. I'm not sure whether I'm more worried about being stung or someone trying to be helpful stabbing me with adrenaline.

The NHS to this point haven't been great; "you probably know more about it than we do" has been their standard response so far. The GP wasn't prepared to refer me to an immunologist after 1 reaction but suggested the epipen "just in case" in the meantime. I have an appointment with the nurse on Monday, having been carrying it around for a week, which I'm thinking is going to be a longer version of the Army NBC atropine auto injector course (stab it in your leg, leave it there for a bit and then rub it)

I had a reasonably bad reaction to a sting last week. While I took myself off to hospital and have subsequently been prescribed an Epipen I still don't think that people that should be trying to carry them as a matter of course. My reaction was fairly bad, but it wasn't anaphylactic and a few steroids and some antihistamines bought it back under control. I'm not sure whether I'm more worried about being stung or someone trying to be helpful stabbing me with adrenaline.

The NHS to this point haven't been great; "you probably know more about it than we do" has been their standard response so far. The GP wasn't prepared to refer me to an immunologist after 1 reaction but suggested the epipen "just in case" in the meantime. I have an appointment with the nurse on Monday, having been carrying it around for a week, which I'm thinking is going to be a longer version of the Army NBC atropine auto injector course (stab it in your leg, leave it there for a bit and then rub it)
Leave 10 seconds , massage 10 seconds :) assuming of course that you still have your wits about you :D
VM

My last action was going to be to stab the git at the BBKA who signed off their website with mine :D

... which I'm thinking is going to be a longer version of the Army NBC atropine auto injector course (stab it in your leg, leave it there for a bit and then rub it)
Similar but a bit slimmer. It's called CBRN these days with less emphasis on the Nuclear due to the USSR packing in the war. We (the Army) now has dinky morphine injectors although they are a tad confusing with a red safety cap and a purple end that you press against the thigh - rumour has it the Scot's Guards' first casualty in Helmand was a gun shot wound, the second was morphine injector through the thumb!

R2 :coolgleamA:

Similar but a bit slimmer. It's called CBRN these days with less emphasis on the Nuclear due to the USSR packing in the war. We (the Army) now has dinky morphine injectors although they are a tad confusing with a red safety cap and a purple end that you press against the thigh - rumour has it the Scot's Guards' first casualty in Helmand was a gun shot wound, the second was morphine injector through the thumb!

MMMM that's the Guards for you! :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

It was a sort of superglue tube in my day and a large "M" on the forehead! :gnorsi:

So, what does C.B.R.N. stand for? Are they moving away from three letter acronyms because they are all used up?

Lets just hope they don't keep bees.

I asked my Gp about them. She said that because I had no reaction from stings, I didn't need one. Now,She also said that even though I am a First aider, I would not be qualified to use one on another person.

Last month I injected myself in error with an epipen. Not pleasant but I managed to get to the casualty department on the hospital and they took immediate and quality care of me. I thought my heart was going to explode out of my chest.

I'm not allergic to bee stings, but my son is and we have epipens in the house. This one had had the safety seal removed and went off when I touched it.

I did a first Aid course at the weekend (basic). We were told to only perform the first aid taught on the course. The course did not cover how to inject someone with an epipen and we were specifically told not to administer (or give) a casualty any drugs. You could hand them their own medication (get their inhaler from their bag etc) but not for example using an epipen from your own first aid kit on them.

Having said that if I had an epipen and someone was in severe AS and you were a long way from help what to do. If it was me I would phone 999 and tell them I needed medical assistance/advice and see what they say!!!

If i remeber rightly i voted that i was not aware i needed one when this poll was started last year. Since then i, have due to alergic recations, now have to carry an Eppipen.

On the pen it has very easy how to use instuctions for people that have to use them, if i was in need of it to be used and i was unable to i would really hope that someone would do it for me, trained or otherwise i dont care who.

The one thing i have found out since starting to carry it, i would use it on others if they needed it, it wont kill them as its less that 50% what you would be given in A&E (i actually have 2 and if the first dont work within 10min the second should then be administered). But i would defo not use it on a child as the dose would be way to high, unless when talking to the emercency service they advised me to.

Just looked up the price.
They aren't cheap which is a shame when you think they are a lifesaver!

Just looked up the price.
They aren't cheap which is a shame when you think they are a lifesaver!

They should not be part of a normal first aid kit which is why they are expensive, they also have a very limited life on them plus they must be checked before use (if liquid is a cloudy colour then it should not be used).

Even though i say i will use it on others, this is because i have 1) been trained to use it. 2) have used it on myself so know what will happen when used. 3) know what to look for before using it.

I know it is a risk to do so, and will always use it if i feel there is no option but i will always make a judgement call at the time, so if i dont feel its needed i wont use it.

I did a Red Cross First Aid at Work course last week and we were shown how to use an Epipen. However, it is a medicine so should only be given on the advice (and guidance) of a medic.

As an aside, we are now allowed to give a standard aspirin as a clot buster - yay!

dpearce4

Hope you dont mind me asking but, what efects did it have on you?
Did you use it when stung, or use it to try it?

Latest posts

Back