Epipen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats another question the rubber gloves people use do you actually get stung through those , if one means having you with those on ? . As i would wear these if they were 100% effective instead of gauntlets .
I use nitriles but you can get stung through them. If the bees are being feisty for whatever reason, I use the Lidl yellow own brand marigolds which give very good protection.

Pros and cons. Liquid would be absorbed faster than the tablets if simply swallowed. However, not as convenient and more likely to go off especially if stored in a 'hot' vehicle between visits. Tablets more convenient but in the event of a reaction better to chew and hold under the tongue in a moist mouth. Faster absorption than swallowing liquid. I say moist because during a reaction the mouth might become very dry so having some water near by would be a good idea. Liquid under the tongue isn't so quite so easy.

“Much safer to carry around a bottle of liquid or pack of tablets of chlorpheniramine (Piriton) if you've not had epipen specifically prescribed for you.”

Which works faster? Liquid or tablets
As @Sutty said, taking a tablet just before going to the apiary will mean it's readily available in the system should you get stung.

If the experience of one of our Association beekeepers is anything to go by, then a severe reaction is unlikely without some form of prior warning: swelling up after stings, shortness of breath etc when stung (when these are new reactions). Precursors to a full attack.

I'd suggest one of the "non-drowsy" ones, though even some of those put me to sleep.

This really isn't the place to seek / deliver medical advice.
What's that old saying about asking 5 beekeepers the same question and getting at least 6
different answers? It's far better to discuss medical matters with your doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's far better to discuss medical matters with your doctor.
I'd agree in most cases, SWMBO has developed an allergy to bee stings, SWMBO's GP is a 'beekeeper', you would think he'd be sympathetic, Knowledgable and helpful. - is he buffalo! he has been none of those and has refused to even refer her for desensitisation, or at least a consultation.

I'd agree in most cases, SWMBO has developed an allergy to bee stings, SWMBO's GP is a 'beekeeper', you would think he'd be sympathetic, Knowledgable and helpful. - is he buffalo! he has been none of those and has refused to even refer her for desensitisation, or at least a consultation.
Mrs B+ has a Masters degree in Medicinal Chemistry and worked 17 years in ethical pharmaceuticals - so, she knows her stuff. Combine that with our family history and her own treatment for bee sting reactions, we had no problem with getting appropriate treatment or referral for desensitisation. She has a trip across to Addenbrookes every 2 months but still falls asleep in the car while I drive home afterwards. It's a long process

This really isn't the place to seek / deliver medical advice.

There's a difference between advice on health and safety (precautionary actions) and medical advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, but Piriton has the reputation of making you sleepy.
I buy the cheap hayfever/allergy tablets from our local Savers. The active ingredient is Loratadine, which doesn't have any drowsiness side-effects for me personally.

Obviously others may react differently. Also it may interact with other medications someone is taking.

For heavens sake, how many times do I have to say on here
FOR MEDICAL ADVICE, See a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I will agree with JBMs experience though, not all are that hot on some topics.
Dr Ex ( retired GP)

Your EpiPens may be different but over here they're only designed to extend the amount of time the emergency services have to get you to a fully equipped treatment room so they're not much use unless you can alert the authorities to your predicament.
It's strange how I can get an epipen here over the counter for $80, whereas in the UK is it prescription only as I understand it. $5.60 here with a script and concession card. I'm told they are very expensive in the US and you have to buy them in a two pack -around $600 and that might be US dollars too.

For heavens sake, how many times do I have to say on here
FOR MEDICAL ADVICE, See a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I will agree with JBMs experience though, not all are that hot on some topics.
Dr Ex ( retired GP)
Absolutely
I have deleted portions of this thread for just that reason.
Any more threads on Epipens folk start will be closed and directed to the sticky kindly provided by @drex years ago
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/epipen.35338/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back