epipens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually wear black gloves. When I've used yellow ones there is no difference in the attitude of the bees. It's a wives' tale. Just be gentle.
I'd like to put this one in the beekeeping myths section, but I'm not absolutely sure. I haven't seen them go for my black gloves either. They definitely go for furry leather or sting when in anything hairy however. There was that one study I've seen where they looked at black veil versus a white veil (white on the outside, black on the inside of course), and when compared there was some noticeable increase of defensiveness towards the black veil. I'd be interested in anyone else's experience or if anyone knows of studies into it.

I'd like to put this one in the beekeeping myths section, but I'm not absolutely sure. I haven't seen them go for my black gloves either. They definitely go for furry leather or sting when in anything hairy however. There was that one study I've seen where they looked at black veil versus a white veil (white on the outside, black on the inside of course), and when compared there was some noticeable increase of defensiveness towards the black veil. I'd be interested in anyone else's experience or if anyone knows of studies into it.
all my veils are black, as are the majority in the UK, the bees tend to ignore them - the only time I've seen them go for the veil is if I have had the occasional misfortune of encountering a turbo nutter b@stard psycho colony - but then in those circunstances they go for the lighter parts of the suit as well.

Latest posts

Back