epipens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s an allergy test available?
yes, simple blood sample, your GP will refer you if you have experienced a worse than normal reaction at some time.

Last edited:
Piriton
Grid reference or What3Words and 999 or a friend with a fast car.
Seriously, any of us are a sting away from anaphylaxis and I have never tended the bees in my own.
Flip! That’s reassuring! o_O

I’ve only had swelling to sting area and itchiness afterwards. Nothing major thankfully. Hopefully I never will.

Didn’t see this thread earlier.

Enquired at local pharmacy about an epipen. They said to see my GP. She (the GP) said she was unable to prescribe one unless I had an allergy to stings, but gave me details of private clinics who might provide them.

I’m assuming that involves a private consultation at a couple of hundred quid. Meh. So that’s the end of that then.

Just in case I, or anyone else, takes a bad reaction to a sting (or nuts etc)...what’s the recommended action?
When I go to inspect my hives I take 2 different types of antihistamine.
1 containing Cetirizine hydrochloride .
1 containing Loratodine
I get these from Lidl so much cheaper than Piroton and other makes .
These help my reaction to the after effects of the sting and does not last as long .I used to react quite badly but I'm not allergic to the sting requiring an epipen its the same for me with red ant stings .But the benefits to me is it helps my arthritis :).
John

As above, a prophylactic dose of a modern antihistamine before you open hives can help if you react to stings. Epipens are prescription only and have a short shelf life, so need replacing regularly.
Look up any good first aid site for anaphylaxis advice.
Dr. Ex

so I got stung today on my thumb. I new going when it was so windy was a mistake but you know, weekly checks have to be done. Anyhows, this reminded me that I ought to look into getting hold of an epipen just incase I do have a reaction at some point. I have been stung twice now. The last time was about 10 years ago, when I was first thinking of doing some beekeeping and I did a short course and got stung then. Now today is the second time. No reaction other than, "ouch that really hurt" and walking away for a couple of minutes to calm myself again. But it did remind me that some people have said they got stung many times with no ill effects, and then one day had a bad reaction totally out of the blue. So I would like to be prepared. So my question is can go into a pharmacy and buy these or do you need to see the doctor for a prescription?
Hi. Due to my extreme nut allergy (I have been in ambulances and A&E many times) I am supposed to carry an EpiPen around with me all the time.
Epipens contain adrenalin that help combat the very low blood pressure that comes with anaphylaxis, you also carry various pills with you to help counteract the symptoms. You then get yourself to A&E, pronto.
I have strong reactions to bee stings, but not anaphylaxis, I just swell up - If I'm stung on the forearm I swell up from my elbow to the palm of my hand for 4 days. I hope my reaction will diminish over time.

Is there a reason you think you may be likely to get an anaphylactic reaction? You said you have been stung twice, with no notable reaction. Why do you think you are likely to go into anaphylactic shock in the future?

Last edited:
A few years ago I attended a lecture to beekeepers by a guy who ran the sting immunity course at Guildford hospital.
It was very interesting but his main point was, as Dani said, we are all only ever one sting away from anaphylaxis and your normally reaction can change at any time.
He also said that in his opinion regularity taking multiple stings probably reduces the chance but the only good data available on beekeepers and stings comes from a survey done in France which concluded that the most likely time for a beekeeper to suffer anaphylaxis is in their 15th year. 🤷‍♂️
His final comment was that although many thousands of people are stung by bees,wasps and hornets each year in the U.K. the average number of deaths is 4.

Didn’t see this thread earlier.

Enquired at local pharmacy about an epipen. They said to see my GP. She (the GP) said she was unable to prescribe one unless I had an allergy to stings, but gave me details of private clinics who might provide them.

I’m assuming that involves a private consultation at a couple of hundred quid. Meh. So that’s the end of that then.

Just in case I, or anyone else, takes a bad reaction to a sting (or nuts etc)...what’s the recommended action?
In Australia you can buy epipens over the counter, no questions asked. $80. Obviously different in the UK. The coroner here a few years ago recommended that beekeepers carry them with them when working bees. His report is available online.

which concluded that the most likely time for a beekeeper to suffer anaphylaxis is in their 15th year. 🤷‍♂️
that's me in the clear then - I'll be 57 in February

Hi. Due to my extreme nut allergy (I have been in ambulances and A&E many times) I am supposed to carry an EpiPen around with me all the time.
Epipens contain adrenalin that help combat the very low blood pressure that comes with anaphylaxis, you also carry various pills with you to help counteract the symptoms. You then get yourself to A&E, pronto.
I have strong reactions to bee stings, but not anaphylaxis, I just swell up - If I'm stung on the forearm I swell up from my elbow to the palm of my hand for 4 days. I hope my reaction will diminish over time.

Is there a reason you think you may be likely to get an anaphylactic reaction? You said you have been stung twice, with no notable reaction. Why do you think you are likely to go into anaphylactic shock in the future?
My sting reaction varies. If I’m stung on the hand/finger, the swelling/rash/itchiness might move down the arm a little. Other times, it can be just like a slight swelling like a nettle sting.

Do you mind me asking what your worst reaction was with (a) a bee sting, and (b) with nuts?

When I go to inspect my hives I take 2 different types of antihistamine.
1 containing Cetirizine hydrochloride .
1 containing Loratodine
I get these from Lidl so much cheaper than Piroton and other makes .
These help my reaction to the after effects of the sting and does not last as long .I used to react quite badly but I'm not allergic to the sting requiring an epipen its the same for me with red ant stings .But the benefits to me is it helps my arthritis :).
John
I normally take a daily Loratidine 10mg tablet in summer for hay fever. So maybe doing that might help me with stings during the summer months.

Do you mean the bee stings help with arthritis?

I normally take a daily Loratidine 10mg tablet in summer for hay fever. So maybe doing that might help me with stings during the summer months.

Do you mean the bee stings help with arthritis?
It appears to allievate my symptoms ,that is to say I do not want to be stung ,but during the season if im stung it eases it to some degree which i can see There is ongoing medical research into bee venom on Arthritis be nice if a pill comes out of it .Hopefully you will not be stung too often, just make sure all fastners and zips are closed ,wellingtons used and bee suit tucked in them ,also use cotton armlets to cover join between end of gloves and hive suit or jacket .I wear marigold gloves first with disposable orange gloves, which can be washed and reused ,but only use those in 1 apairy if you have another wear different gloves and same goes for Hive tools ,never wear black gloves the bees do not like the colour ,also leather gloves should be avoided ,basically to be able to feel your bees during inspections will prevent to a degree bees becoming angry if your rough.
John.

As above, a prophylactic dose of a modern antihistamine before you open hives can help if you react to stings. Epipens are prescription only and have a short shelf life, so need replacing regularly.
Look up any good first aid site for anaphylaxis advice.
Dr. Ex
This could be a short cut if the online prescriber is compliant. The cost @ £50 or $80 in Australia sounds extortionate - a simple chemical, adrenaline, in a simple syringe.....
https://www.prescriptiondoctor.com/...Xxal4pBYtxtHUNcBMQCS0yIGlYWK42mMaAhbiEALw_wcB

They are a pain to store if you have out apiaries as they don't like to be anywhere too warm or too cold, which it tends to get frequently in a vehicle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back