epipens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildflower 123

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
so I got stung today on my thumb. I new going when it was so windy was a mistake but you know, weekly checks have to be done. Anyhows, this reminded me that I ought to look into getting hold of an epipen just incase I do have a reaction at some point. I have been stung twice now. The last time was about 10 years ago, when I was first thinking of doing some beekeeping and I did a short course and got stung then. Now today is the second time. No reaction other than, "ouch that really hurt" and walking away for a couple of minutes to calm myself again. But it did remind me that some people have said they got stung many times with no ill effects, and then one day had a bad reaction totally out of the blue. So I would like to be prepared. So my question is can go into a pharmacy and buy these or do you need to see the doctor for a prescription?

So my question is can go into a pharmacy and buy these or do you need to see the doctor for a prescription?
No yes - but I think your doctor would refuse to prescribe one on the offchance you may have a severe reaction 'sometime in the future'

No yes - but I think your doctor would refuse to prescribe one on the offchance you may have a severe reaction 'sometime in the future'
sorry, does that mean no you cant just get one from the pharmacy and yes you need to see the gp? and would they not think as a beekeeper taking precautions is a good idea. I mean, I am not just randomly asking for an epipen as a nonbeekeeper who just might one day get stung.

No, you can't just walk into a pharmacy and buy one
would they not think as a beekeeper taking precautions is a good idea.
No, if they have never had any kind of severe reaction before - we're not talking about a bottle of aspirin 'just in case' you get a headache. I think they'd just laugh
Maybe I should carry a defibrillator around with me just in case I have a heart attack

Hi. I would have thought 99.9% of beekeepers don't carry any kind of epipen. In my experience doctors are generally reluctant to prescribe them - my wife has a peanut allergy but was told unless she has a serious reaction requiring emergency intervention she can't have them. My son managed to get some after he ended up in A+E for a peanut reaction; but only then (as he only had to have a antihistamine drop not adrenalin) because he was under 18 and therefore potentially more 'reckless' and therefore higher risk!

Hi :) it's good you're thinking of these things but you cannot buy epipens, they need to be prescribed (I have them due to severe anaphylaxic reactions). They are prescribed in twos as 1 often isn't enough for a serious reaction. As Erichalfbee said, they also have a short shelf life and need to be replaced before that date. I recently asked my GP about the possibility an extra prescription and was told that there has been a shortage of epipens for over 3 years so they would only prescribe the 2 necessary for my condition. So based on that alone, i doubt they'd prescribe epipens to people with no prior history, they'd be more likely to suggest you avoid bees instead.
If it's a genuine ongoing concern for you, having another person around when you're checking hives is probably the next best solution. If someone isn't available and you have to wait until someone has some free time, waiting a few extra days to do a standard check won't make any difference and you get peace of mind that if anything went wrong, someone else is there with a phone. I have to rely on my husband being available to carry out hive checks etc with me and trying to find mutually convenient time is difficult, but it's that or no bees at all, and to be honest, the bees seem to be more productive and have benefitted from fewer checks and less interference.

We had a beekeeping group and I thought it would be good to have an epipen between us but the doctors refused. Luckily have never needed one! If all a bee sting does is make you say ouch then you are lucky. I can get bad swelling and 24 hours of intense itching. It stopped for a while when I used to get lots of stings but it has returned lately as I havent been stung much!

I have been stung twice now. The last time was about 10 years ago, when I was first thinking of doing some beekeeping and I did a short course and got stung then. Now today is the second time.

Wow, you’ve been keeping bees for 10 years and only had two stings in that time?

Hi :) it's good you're thinking of these things but you cannot buy epipens, they need to be prescribed (I have them due to severe anaphylaxic reactions). They are prescribed in twos as 1 often isn't enough for a serious reaction. As Erichalfbee said, they also have a short shelf life and need to be replaced before that date. I recently asked my GP about the possibility an extra prescription and was told that there has been a shortage of epipens for over 3 years so they would only prescribe the 2 necessary for my condition. So based on that alone, i doubt they'd prescribe epipens to people with no prior history, they'd be more likely to suggest you avoid bees instead.
If it's a genuine ongoing concern for you, having another person around when you're checking hives is probably the next best solution. If someone isn't available and you have to wait until someone has some free time, waiting a few extra days to do a standard check won't make any difference and you get peace of mind that if anything went wrong, someone else is there with a phone. I have to rely on my husband being available to carry out hive checks etc with me and trying to find mutually convenient time is difficult, but it's that or no bees at all, and to be honest, the bees seem to be more productive and have benefitted from fewer checks and less interference.
We have a totally different situation here with epipens ....but that aside, do you guys have Anapens there? I just wondered about that when I read what you wrote about the serious reaction.....

Unless you have been proven to have a severe anaphylactic shock to bee venom, then an EpiPen or similar is not warranted ( and anyway not available). https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ccr3.5303

Nevertheless, awareness of the potential danger is sufficiently important that in our association, meetings are attended by a member whose first aid training included a session on dealing with anaphylaxis. (See BBC Radio 4 presenter Martha Kearney: How my beloved bees nearly )

Meanwhile chlorphenamine will cover the majority of allergic reactions. It is the old fashioned antihistamine which can cause drowsiness, but is effective and very fast acting (Because it is more lipid soluble it more readily crosses the blood brain barrier: All antihistamines cross blood-brain barrier )

You can buy chlorphenamine as desperately overpriced 'Piriton' or dirt cheap generic versions: 224 x Allergy Relief (Piriton) Tablets 4mg Chlorphenamine Maleate

Unless you have been proven to have a severe anaphylactic shock to bee venom, then an EpiPen or similar is not warranted ( and anyway not available). https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ccr3.5303

Nevertheless, awareness of the potential danger is sufficiently important that in our association, meetings are attended by a member whose first aid training included a session on dealing with anaphylaxis. (See BBC Radio 4 presenter Martha Kearney: How my beloved bees nearly )

Meanwhile chlorphenamine will cover the majority of allergic reactions. It is the old fashioned antihistamine which can cause drowsiness, but is effective and very fast acting (Because it is more lipid soluble it more readily crosses the blood brain barrier: All antihistamines cross blood-brain barrier )

You can buy chlorphenamine as desperately overpriced 'Piriton' or dirt cheap generic versions: 224 x Allergy Relief (Piriton) Tablets 4mg Chlorphenamine Maleate
thank you for that information, it is extremely helpful

Didn’t see this thread earlier.

Enquired at local pharmacy about an epipen. They said to see my GP. She (the GP) said she was unable to prescribe one unless I had an allergy to stings, but gave me details of private clinics who might provide them.

I’m assuming that involves a private consultation at a couple of hundred quid. Meh. So that’s the end of that then.

Just in case I, or anyone else, takes a bad reaction to a sting (or nuts etc)...what’s the recommended action?

Just in case I, or anyone else, takes a bad reaction to a sting (or nuts etc).
a sting to the nuts always gets a bit of a reaction - usually hilarious laughter from SWMBO (who does carry an epipen as she hsd been tested and found allergic to bee stings)

I have seen piriton recommended to carry to alleviate any affects.

Just in case I, or anyone else, takes a bad reaction to a sting (or nuts etc)...what’s the recommended action?
Piriton
Grid reference or What3Words and 999 or a friend with a fast car.
Seriously, any of us are a sting away from anaphylaxis and I have never tended the bees in my own.

a sting to the nuts always gets a bit of a reaction - usually hilarious laughter from SWMBO (who does carry an epipen as she hsd been tested and found allergic to bee stings)
What’s SWMBO?

There’s an allergy test available?

I meant peanuts, but I’m sure you knew that ;)

Latest posts

Back