Epipen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fast_muchly

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Had a hive a few years but then took a break for a few years we have now recently aquired a small woodland ( only an acre ) .

But one thing worries me , i'm not allergic at all .But if im miles away and in private woodland what if i get stung and have a bad reaction .Does anyone carry an epipen or anyone worried in a similiar way .Can you get an epipen from the doctors under this premise ? .

I always go into the hive suited and booted no bare hands with me , take no chances . Always use gauntlets and i no you cant feel as well with them and stings get stuck in them etc etc . Thats another question the rubber gloves people use do you actually get stung through those , if one means having you with those on ? . As i would wear these if they were 100% effective instead of gauntlets .

I get epipen from my GP. Not carrying it on me, but it’s close to my apiary.

I don't use gloves at all currently but am considering using thin nitrile I can feel through, and be stung through.
You get instant feedback when yo annoy them as they bounce off your hands. Usually it means your movements are too rapid.
As for an EpiPen, an immunology doctor colleague once said the time after a long break was probably more of a risk for serious reactions - though I have had none after a very long break. Personally I haven't bothered with anything, but taking an antihistamine an hour or so before going to the bees would be fairly logical in such circumstances.

I get epipen from my GP. Not carrying it on me, but it’s close to my apiary.
If you have a serious allergy enough to have an EpiPen from your GP, you should keep it on you (no use if you don't make it to the pen), or consider a different hobby.
You may not have an established allergy of course, but I'm surprised a GP would prescribe if no history.

If you have a serious allergy enough to have an EpiPen from your GP, you should keep it on you (no use if you don't make it to the pen), or consider a different hobby.
You may not have an established allergy of course, but I'm surprised a GP would prescribe if no history.
I asked the GP due to the fact I’m a beekeeper and have no. of hives around. So just in case.
I myself have no allergy.
Maybe the rules are slightly different north of the border, I’m not sure, but with my GP - no questions asked.

Had a hive a few years but then took a break for a few years we have now recently aquired a small woodland ( only an acre ) .

But one thing worries me , i'm not allergic at all .But if im miles away and in private woodland what if i get stung and have a bad reaction .Does anyone carry an epipen or anyone worried in a similiar way .Can you get an epipen from the doctors under this premise ? .

I always go into the hive suited and booted no bare hands with me , take no chances . Always use gauntlets and i no you cant feel as well with them and stings get stuck in them etc etc . Thats another question the rubber gloves people use do you actually get stung through those , if one means having you with those on ? . As i would wear these if they were 100% effective instead of gauntlets .
Always take your phone and have your Three Words

I have one with me prescribed by my GP. Iam usually ok with stings but had in excess of 30 at once in the past and whilst I didn't get anaphylaxis I rather be safe than sorry especially when I am at the out apiaries.

I use the black "heavy duty" supermarket versions of marigold gloves but still get stung through them on occasion. If you can get through to your GP (I had to put a complaint in to my practice this week as the receptionist refused to allow me to order a repeat prescription more then 7 days before my current supply of epilepsy medication ran out then hung up on me, even though they are meant to issue a year's worth at once and hadn't) you can always ask the question for nothing. I'm not sure when you are meant to use them though - if its every time you get stung then I'd go through at least 10 a year.

Way too far from phone reception at some sites here to risk not taking one with me, particularly as we can get them over the counter.

I use the black "heavy duty" supermarket versions of marigold gloves but still get stung through them on occasion. If you can get through to your GP (I had to put a complaint in to my practice this week as the receptionist refused to allow me to order a repeat prescription more then 7 days before my current supply of epilepsy medication ran out then hung up on me, even though they are meant to issue a year's worth at once and hadn't) you can always ask the question for nothing. I'm not sure when you are meant to use them though - if its every time you get stung then I'd go through at least 10 a year.

I've ben accustomed to having my meds dispensed three-monthly but since Covid it's now monthly. I'm not sure if this is because the supply-chain is dodgy or whether they think there's a chance I might snuff it and therefore waste several weeks of the tablets. :eek:
A few weeks ago there were almost daily adverts in the Guardian from the Co-op Pharmacy offering home delivery of meds. Maybe worth considering if they are able to supply long-term without the need for monthly scrips?

I have 2 prescribed, as does my wife and youngest son. Therefore, we have 6 available - renewed every year (they're supposed to have 2 years shelf-life but never do). I have at least 1 nearby at all times - but, if you need one, you need more than 1.

I wear the yellow Marigolds and occasionally get stung through them but it isn’t a proper sting with the stinger left in your finger and still pumping poison. More of a little love bite really, except for the bee of course

Way too far from phone reception at some sites here to risk not taking one with me, particularly as we can get them over the counter.

Your EpiPens may be different but over here they're only designed to extend the amount of time the emergency services have to get you to a fully equipped treatment room so they're not much use unless you can alert the authorities to your predicament.

They have a relatively short shelf life and are expensive so doctors are not keen to prescribe them to people who have no evidence of a reaction.
And there was a general shortage last year

I'm not sure when you are meant to use them though - if its every time you get stung then I'd go through at least 10 a year.

You would only use it if having a severe allergic reaction, or were pretty sure you were about to. There are downsides to injecting yourself with adrenaline!

You would only use it if having a severe allergic reaction, or were pretty sure you were about to. There are downsides to injecting yourself with adrenaline!
Really important that beekeepers familiarise themselves with the cardinal symptoms of anaphylaxis and have an emergency plan in the event it happens.

Much safer to carry around a bottle of liquid or pack of tablets of chlorpheniramine (Piriton) if you've not had epipen specifically prescribed for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure when you are meant to use them though - if its every time you get stung then I'd go through at least 10 a year.
That's exactly why they are not handed out like Smarties
Reply not directed at you just highlighting a point

“Much safer to carry around a bottle of liquid or pack of tablets of chlorpheniramine (Piriton) if you've not had epipen specifically prescribed for you.”

Which works faster? Liquid or tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back