Epipens, their use and possible dangers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you need an Epipen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi Guys

Bad reactions is not what I am having. Bad reaction... a one off.

Over the years I have had scores of stings, but this has been the first time I have reacted. (including my 27 stings from a crazy swarm!)

Normally, just a pin prick and a lump for a couple of days. end of.

What I would like to understand, is why I had the bad reaction... just the one.
I have been stung on the neck before, but have nothing even close to this.

I had one sting on the front of my neck to one side, and three almost on top of each other on the back of the neck.
I think it 'may' have been the front one, as my neck above my collarbone swelled quite considerably and was quite tender.

Cheers
Pete

My sympathies to B+.
Please all, stop messing about.
if you have any doubts, GET SOME MEDICAL ADVICE.
Anaphylaxis kills.
I have been a doctor forty years.
.....This is potentially too serious a topic for street corner doctoring.

I've followed this thread for the last three years and the above is one of the most sensible posts I've read.

Having said that .. I think there is a propensity for (often non-beekeepers) to state "I'm terribly allergic to bee stings" and the reality is that there is a tremendous difference between what they perceive as a serious allergy and true anaphylaxis. I've questioned a few and you often find that the normal swelling, itching and redness which most of us experience from bee stings is exactly what most people experience ... but think it is extraordinary.

Having seen a friends child suffer a near fatal allergic reaction as a result of her nut allergy I can appreciate what a real anaphylactic episode is .. it was the result of an ice cream vendor accidentally contaminating an ice cream she was bought by her parents with some nut based sprinkles ... an almost imperceptible amount but an almost instantaneous and very visible reaction. Fortunately, her parents carried an epipen and having administered it and called the ambulance all was well ... but for a minute or two I really thought the child was going to die. They had seen it before and their lack of panic and almost matter of fact reaction left me in awe .. one administered the adrenaline and the other called 999 ... I'm not sure how I would have reacted in the same circumstances.

My fear is always that people who experience a 'normal' sting reaction are telling other people that they are 'allergic' with the implication that a sting could be fatal. I'm not a trained medical practitioner or a paramedic but having seen the effects of a severe reaction I feel I could now assess whether someone was really heading for anaphylaxis but the question I would have is how many people are now carrying epipens without a real need for them or worse still ... as a precaution 'just in case' - and with the potential for administering a powerful drug without the knowledge of when it is necessary.

how many people are now carrying epipens without a real need for them or worse still ... as a precaution 'just in case' - and with the potential for administering a powerful drug without the knowledge of when it is necessary.

I think you have to give some credit to the doctor who prescribes the epipens. There are ethical guidelines they follow and they are accountable for their actions.
I have 2 epipens (as does my wife and two surviving children) and we have all received training on how and when to use them. Some of you may have seen the Anaphylaxis articles that Andrea Woolley has written for "Bee Craft". It was because of what happened to Simon that Bedfordshire Beekeepers Association contacted Andrea and initiated the training. It is not enough by a long way, but, I feel that Simon would want me to do all that I can to warn people of the risks and prepare them incase the worst should happen. I urge you all to take the course.

P.S. I'm sorry if that sounds like an advertisement for Andreas course. It really isn't. I just want people to educate themselves about this.

Last edited:
I think you have to give some credit to the doctor who prescribes the epipens. There are ethical guidelines they follow and they are accountable for their actions.
I have 2 epipens (as does my wife and two surviving children) and we have all received training on how and when to use them. Some of you may have seen the Anaphylaxis articles that Andrea Woolley has written for "Bee Craft". It was because of what happened to Simon that Bedfordshire Beekeepers Association contacted Andrea and initiated the training. It is not enough by a long way, but, I feel that Simon would want me to do all that I can to warn people of the risks and prepare them incase the worst should happen. I urge you all to take the course.

P.S. I'm sorry if that sounds like an advertisement for Andreas course. It really isn't. I just want people to educate themselves about this.

I think it's an excellent idea ....

Please read my whole post and don't quote me out of context. I suggested that he takes an antihistimine tablet. The reference to an epi-pen was that I carry them. I didn't suggest he goes out and buys one as these are prescription only medicines, nor did I suggest that it was randomly stabbed into someone on a mere suspicion.

You are under a misapprehension that someone who is suffering an anaphalyactic attack will be coherent or even recognise what is happening to them. If you have received medical training you should know this. Anaphylaxis is quick and it is deadly. In August 2008, my son died from a bee sting. I know what I am talking about. Waiting for an ambulance is the wrong thing to do if you have an epipen. Within 15 minutes of being stung, he was dead. It took longer than that for the ambulance to arrive.

Each epi-pen contains 0.3mg of epinephrine in an auto-injector. A doctor will inject 1mg per dose and had to administer at least 6 into my son as he lay dying. I lost track of how many more he gave. The point is, that injecting a 0.3mg dose into the upper 3rd quadrant of the thigh would have the same effect as if a healthy person ran a short distance for a bus. One would not be enough. That is why I carry at least two.

Believe me: I could never let that happen again. I have been through all of this with doctors and lawyers. They will all tell you something different. Doctors prescribe a drug for a named person. However, the legal advice I have received is that you could not be prosecuted for trying to save someones life. All of this crap about potentially being sued for assault does not apply in the UK. Even if it did, I would gladly face trial for trying to save someone if I could help them than watch them die.
Thank you, I think your idea is the best - now I have to see what the legal position is in Portugal.

Latest posts

Back