Effectiveness of air freshener

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
Today I united 2 hives after removing one queen - had to sieve through a QE to find her though!
After an appropriate rest I united it with the next-door colony, with the Q+ colony on top using air freshener (Glade floral blossom).
On the other side of the Q+ original site was a double nuc housing a recently hived swarm from 5 days ago (believed to be a cast), it was 4-5 feet away.
I expected it would gain a few bees from removing the adjacent colony but most would go into the combined hive (2-3 feet away).
This evening there is no sign of fighting outside the united colonies, but a small carpet of dead bees outside the nuc hive, though peaceful now.
Seems to indicate the air freshener works well! Perhaps I should have sprayed the nuc entrance too - I was aware there were confused bees from the adjacent hive all over it!
Every day is a school day!!

Glad you feel it was probably a positive outcome.

Today I united 2 hives after removing one queen - had to sieve through a QE to find her though!
After an appropriate rest I united it with the next-door colony, with the Q+ colony on top using air freshener (Glade floral blossom).
On the other side of the Q+ original site was a double nuc housing a recently hived swarm from 5 days ago (believed to be a cast), it was 4-5 feet away.
I expected it would gain a few bees from removing the adjacent colony but most would go into the combined hive (2-3 feet away).
This evening there is no sign of fighting outside the united colonies, but a small carpet of dead bees outside the nuc hive, though peaceful now.
Seems to indicate the air freshener works well! Perhaps I should have sprayed the nuc entrance too - I was aware there were confused bees from the adjacent hive all over it!
What I do is make sure the hives are next to eachother on the same stand. After the air fresher unite I slide the boxes into the middle

I would have done exactly that but one was on a platform and the other a foot lower 2 feet away.
They have real issues finding entrances when the height off the ground is changed. Did the combined colonies end up on the stand and was the nuc with the carpet of bees lower?

I would have done exactly that but one was on a platform and the other a foot lower 2 feet away.
Not saying you did anything wrong at all......just saying what I do. I have one similar to do today. They will get a newspaper unite. One colony has a couple of supers and I don't want to be spraying that
I had never heard of using air freshener till a few years ago.....and I heard it here. It's a great way to do a quick unite without having to go back the same day in the evening.
I read that Murray sometimes just puts two colonies together without removing one queen.

I have not heard of using air freshener, what is the theory and evidence its beneficial please

I have not heard of using air freshener, what is the theory and evidence its beneficial please
Quite simply, it disguises the pheremones for long enough for them to mingle. It is quick and easy and in hot weather is better than paper where you may be closing one box of bees off from ventilation. It can be used in quite a few combining situations from whole boxes to single frames. You are NOT soaking them in the spray, just using a QUICK squirt

Quite simply, it disguises the pheremones for long enough for them to mingle. It is quick and easy and in hot weather is better than paper where you may be closing one box of bees off from ventilation. It can be used in quite a few combining situations from whole boxes to single frames. You are NOT soaking them in the spray, just using a QUICK squirt
Thanks for explanation

Don't have any air freshener as the air here is fresh enough. Will deodorant do?
Would take ages to do all the bees' armpits!
Seriously - not sure it would be a good idea as it's designed to stay on the skin.
Cheapo air freshener is fine, but get one that sprays sideways with a propellant. The more eco-friendly ones only spray upwards.

Thanks for explanation
You can also use deodorant……I use something nasty like lynx, I’d consider it slightly better than air freshener as it’s suitable for human consumption😂

Well I’m in the no use air freshener group not because it doesn’t work , I have used it but because it’s made up of numerous chemicals, I would like to see the evidence on trials done if any on how good it is for the bees ?

Will deodorant do?

I've just been down to our local shop to ask for a cheap deodorant.
The shop keeper asked me if I want a 'ball type'.
I just said "No. It's just for under my arms."
I don't know why, but he looked puzzled.

Well I’m in the no use air freshener group not because it doesn’t work , I have used it but because it’s made up of numerous chemicals, I would like to see the evidence on trials done if any on how good it is for the bees ?

And from another point of view, what is not "chemicals"?

James

Back