Effectiveness of air freshener

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The difference is oxalic has been used as a varroa treatment and has had a lot of testing done for a good while, we can’t say the same for air freshener.
Isn’t oxalic a natural chemical found in plants?
So you are objecting to its use because it's untested not because it's a chemical ? So it follows that you are happy to use any chemical as long as it has been tested ... I thought you said that the people you worked for were trying to run an organic operation ?

So you are objecting to its use because it's untested not because it's a chemical ? So it follows that you are happy to use any chemical as long as it has been tested ... I thought you said that the people you worked for were trying to run an organic operation ?
They are running an organic regenerative estate yes. Soon to be a biodynamic operation I’m also with some of my beekeeping already following suite .
I’m not happy using it (air freshener) that is because as you say it’s not organic and I also don’t know how it effects the bees .
If it was tested I probably still wouldn’t use it now if there was an organic alternative specific to bees then yes are we clear now?
I’m only allowed to use oa because it’s an organic treatment for varroa same as me feeding stock it has to be organic fondant.
I’m also trying to find an alternative to soda crystals/bleach .

They are running an organic regenerative estate yes. Soon to be a biodynamic operation I’m also with some of my beekeeping already following suite .
I’m not happy using it (air freshener) that is because as you say it’s not organic and I also don’t know how it effects the bees .
If it was tested I probably still wouldn’t use it now if there was an organic alternative specific to bees then yes are we clear now?
I’m only allowed to use oa because it’s an organic treatment for varroa same as me feeding stock it has to be organic fondant.
I was visited by my SBI a few years back, when I was in the middle of a unite using air freshener. I had used a little too much (!) and there were more bees on the outside of the hive than inside. He chuckled and said he just opens the hives and leaves them open for several minutes, then unites with no problems. No paper, no freshener, nothing. Perhaps that’s the answer?

The Soil Association, who police 'organic farming' do not permit any treatments unless they are VMD certified - if that's OA then it would need to be Api-Bioxal ... but the chances of becoming an organic beekeeping set up in the UK is almost impossible when you read the standards set by the Soil Association 3:13 in their Standards Document:

https://www.soilassociation.org/media/23378/gb-farming-growing.pdf
Biodynamic farming seems to be an offshoot from the Soil association - mainly started by former Soil Association personnel and goes one step further ...

https://www.biodynamic.org.uk/about/
They seem to reflect the same standards as the Soil association in terns of beekeeping - See Appendix 9:

https://bdcertification.org.uk/wp/w...cation-Organic-Production-Standards-2022-.pdf

The Soil Association, who police 'organic farming' do not permit any treatments unless they are VMD certified - if that's OA then it would need to be Api-Bioxal ... but the chances of becoming an organic beekeeping set up in the UK is almost impossible when you read the standards set by the Soil Association 3:13 in their Standards Document:

https://www.soilassociation.org/media/23378/gb-farming-growing.pdf
Biodynamic farming seems to be an offshoot from the Soil association - mainly started by former Soil Association personnel and goes one step further ...

https://www.biodynamic.org.uk/about/
They seem to reflect the same standards as the Soil association in terns of beekeeping - See Appendix 9:

https://bdcertification.org.uk/wp/w...cation-Organic-Production-Standards-2022-.pdf
Thanks for that but I’m pretty informed what biodynamic farming consists of .
A lot of biodynamic beekeeping isn’t much different either to some of the things I’m doing already .

A lot of biodynamic beekeeping isn’t much different either to some of the things I’m doing already .
Hi CGF,
I assume you do occasionally use smoke with the bees? How do you/your employers feel about dosing the bees with tars and other chemicals from the burning process?

It wasn't particularly directed at you .... more for those of us who have not got a clue about what Biodynamic Farming is ... although, looking at the fees they charge, the principle requirement appears to be a very large wallet !

I presume the beekeeping you are doing for your employers just pays lip service to the Organic principles, as it's clear your practices come nowhere near the required standards, but credit to you for trying even if you can only cherry pick the things you can do. In many respects the Soil Association standards in relation to beekeeping are a farce ... only being permitted to use natural methods to clean hives, only allowing hives to be made of natural materials (No poly hives) etc, etc. Not the real world is it ?

I’m sure Murray has described doing that and going further even by not removing one queen.
You can easily unite not removing any queen but only as long as you don’t care which one is left😂……..I’ve happily combined before with no issues and just chucking them together…… However on the odd occasion there will be carnage!
Therefore a squirt of air freshener/deodorant or indeed a sheet of news paper are little cost or inconvenience……..
Given this thread and some concern about a squirt of glade…….you could be forgiven for thinking it’s the depths of Winter😂

I’m sure Murray has described doing that and going further even by not removing one queen.
He has, and yes
I've done unites with a good queen in each half so wasn't bothered which one won the fight.
The winner (or her supersedure daughter anyway) is one of my best queens

The Soil Association, who police 'organic farming' do not permit any treatments unless they are VMD certified - if that's OA then it would need to be Api-Bioxal
But is the sugar used in Apibioxal organic?

It wasn't particularly directed at you .... more for those of us who have not got a clue about what Biodynamic Farming is ... although, looking at the fees they charge, the principle requirement appears to be a very large wallet !

I presume the beekeeping you are doing for your employers just pays lip service to the Organic principles, as it's clear your practices come nowhere near the required standards, but credit to you for trying even if you can only cherry pick the things you can do. In many respects the Soil Association standards in relation to beekeeping are a farce ... only being permitted to use natural methods to clean hives, only allowing hives to be made of natural materials (No poly hives) etc, etc. Not the real world is it ?
Nope it’s not the real world .
We talked about stiner before on here back a few years ago can you remember?

Oxalic acid in solution is a bleach. It is often used for bleaching and clearing stains on wood. I've used it very successfully when renovating wooden boats.. The crystals are mixed into a solution with water and 'painted' on to the stained area. Then, washed off later once the staining has gone.

Malcolm B.

That is a really good question .... it seems the Soil Association even have their knickers in a twist about sugar being organic when it's fed to bees so ... probably ought to be.
The answer is just don’t use apibioxal and use a purer form of oxalic without the sugar, perhaps I’ll do that🤔

Latest posts

Back