Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

karl moss 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have done a Hive check this morning, on one of my hives that swarmed in May , i check my hives regularly but to be quite honest rarely check supers, i just take them off and check the brood box and then replace them i was very suprised to find Eggs and larva at all stages in the second super above the QE fitted to this hive ?
Checked the brood box to find Eggs and Larva at all stages below QE in brood box, I didn't see her majesties on either side of QE, although with Eggs present i know she is knocking around somewhere
I can only assume a virgin queen passed through the QE into the supers and i now have two colonies in one hive, as anyone had this happen to them, if so any advice would be appreciated.
I have left them to get on with it, as they seem quite happy with the situation without my intervention

jezd 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
I have heard stories of workers moving eggs around and even above the QE, perhaps this is another example?

Eyeman 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
National and 14x12
I've have a hived swarm behave in the same way- I presume there were 2 queens present.
I've also had what I assume are laying workers start laying in the super- take a look at the position of the eggs- all my capping were drone brood.

Latest posts