Does vinegar in syrup stop mould?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelenHP16

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just making up another batch of syrup and as I'm not going to be able to visit the bees for a few days I want to put a larger volume on than usual. I don't have any thymol to add but have heard that vinegar works to prevent mould growth. Does anyone else add vinegar?

Thank you

Just making up another batch of syrup and as I'm not going to be able to visit the bees for a few days I want to put a larger volume on than usual. I don't have any thymol to add but have heard that vinegar works to prevent mould growth. Does anyone else add vinegar?

Thank you

Your bees will take the syrup down pretty quickly so it will not be necessary to add anything to it. I would be inclined to just feed them and use the subsequent free time to source some Thymol to preserve subsequent batches of syrup.

I put apple cider vinegar in my syrup mix

Your bees will take the syrup down pretty quickly so it will not be necessary to add anything to it. I would be inclined to just feed them and use the subsequent free time to source some Thymol to preserve subsequent batches of syrup.

A few minutes on the Thornes website even.

Would adding vinegar to syrup generate HMF (which I am told is toxic to honeybees)?

Latest posts

Back