In the Queen Castle

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paula S

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I am trying to raise queens in a Queen Castle (QC). Into each of the 4 slots of the QC I put a frame that had a Queen Cell on it that had been created after I had notched a cell as for On The Spot (OTS) Queen rearing and a frame of resources. At some point a few weeks later, I saw one Q in one slot but nothing in the others, but have not seen her since and had not seen any evidence in any of the 4 slots. I left them alone for two more weeks. At the same time, I began the process of splitting two hives and successfully reared 2 queens by OTS. They seemed a bit slow to mate and start laying but are doing well now so I believe the QC have had enough time to do something but they haven't. Two weeks ago, I combined two of the slots and added a frame of eggs, left one slot totally alone and added a frame of eggs to the 4th slot removing a frame of resources. I'm not seeing any evidence of Queens and now I feel that the frames in all of the slots are just so full of nectar, capped honey and pollen that even if there were Queens, they would have no place to lay eggs. I guess I can add another frame of eggs and what else? Remove a frame of resources and add a frame of foundation? I would like the experience of raising a Queen in the QC and to have a spare Queen, but actually don't know what I would do with her in the winter anyway. What does anyone do with a spare Queen over winter? I don't have enough kit for another hive and don't want one either.....I don't think!?!?!? This is my third summer with bees and sometime I feel pretty good about them but MAN!!! sometimes I feel like an imposter and that I don't know anything.

It seems like they have had several weeks for queens to show their prowess, but I have had some take 4 weeks to come into lay.
If honey bound, yes, you can take out full frames and put in foundation.
I read on here some take queens through winter in Apideas, but it is hard work. I have used 3 frame nucs successfully.
I tried a queen castle once, and like you ended up with colonies at different levels of development. I found it very difficult to get out a colony ready for transfer without disturbing the others, or leaving bees behind. I now prefer to use dummied down nucs.
Well done you for having a go at queen rearing. It adds a new dimension to beekeeping

I have another question about a Queen. These girls!! I have one who was new last year, lived in a healthy hive and came through the winter beautifully. I made a successful split from her hive this spring. Last week I did a newspaper combine of her hive which was only one brood box because of the split, and a brood box from a hive that had three brood boxes because of a combine I made last year when I had a laying worker. There was beautiful brood, resources, I think there was room to lay and also frames with foundation only, but I thought it all looked great. Two days ago I was doing an inspection and stopped when I saw her which was almost immediately, I didn't look further through the hive, I was satisfied that the newspaper combine had worked. She was in the top box. Yesterday I just wanted to insert a green drone brood frame and wanted to make sure I didn't remove her in the process and I found her on the same frame, no eggs being laid. Is this just because of the recent combine? Confusing enough? my Question.....Should I move her to a frame that I think (haha) is better for her to work on, or leave her alone as possibly she knows what she's doing? Or is she hopelessly not doing what she's supposed to do and I should replace her?

Leave her alone, she is probably better in that box, among her own bees until well and truly accepted. Is there room for her to lay?

Back