Does anyone use lactic acid?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still not sold about drone culling for mite control. Not it's effectiveness which is proven but the drone depletion impacting on the quality of mating.

controlled drone production will be restricted to the frame given for this purpose with colonies usually not rearing more drones elsewhere.if you do it throughout the season you will end up with a very limited number of good drones from your colonies increasing risks of mating with more random with poor traits.

The only time I use drones for varroa control is when I raise large amounts of drones for mating. For each frame of drone which emerges, I will put another one afterwards which will be removed when capped. I will also blast a round of OA sublimation.
Obviously we need drones and it’s not an issue. With out method we cut out about 4500 drones and the colony produces 15-20 k drones so perhaps 1/3. The bees place drones on every brood comb around the frames so no issues. There are plenty of drones left.

Which is perhaps why it's never used in isolation.
If u think something is impossible then don’t disturb the guy busy doing it😉. We have used drone cutout and LAT 5-6 years thus avoiding strong chemicals and still very low winter losses (read 0)

Lucky for you then, it's too early in the season to play with the bees😅
Luck have very little to do with a successful method developed during many years;). If you read the whole post you'd notice that we have used, and improved, the method during several years with good results.

Luck have very little to do with a successful method developed during many years;). If you read the whole post you'd notice that we have used, and improved, the method during several years with good results.
Yes, I know. I was trying a bit of humour based on your earlier response but it didn't come through. I wasn't critical of your method.

I did understand that and responded the same way, hence the smiley ;). so no worries.
for those who are interested, here is a test report that indeed shows that you can control the mite level with drone cut out.
Evaluation of Drone Brood Removal for Management of Varroa
destructor (Acari: Varroidae) in Colonies of Apis mellifera
(Hymenoptera: Apidae) in the Northeastern United States
For those who want to learn more: dodsbisyssla.com/practical-varroa-management/

Latest posts

Back