Dock and bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
3!
Hi the field in which my hives are sited is just cut for hay once a year. There is a lot of dock this year - is there any spray that can be used that is not harmful to my bees or any particular time to spray that would be ok? Thanks

We're talking about a lot of dock in a 5 acre field and it affects the quality of the hay and may make the contractor not want it. Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of harming my bees but was just asking in case there is asensible solution.

We're talking about a lot of dock in a 5 acre field

Get some kids involved in ridding your field of Docks, and pay them for their help, the guy in the link below manages to weed 3000 acres with the help of local kids.

He relies on a practice most producers abandoned years ago. But across his 3,000 plus acres, it saves money - to the tune of $10,000 to $20,000 every year.
Skorupa, along with a crew of kids he hires, pull the weeds and wild oats that invade his fields. All of them. "People comment on how clean my fields are," Skorupa said. Born into farming in southern Montana's row-crop country, Skorupa remembers watching the soil flow over the plow blade - while walking behind draft horses. As the growing season progressed, the time for weed control arrived. "Whenever we saw a weed, we pulled it," he said. "That instinct is still in me." But he's not living in the past; he's succeeding in the present. Today, Skorupa farms 1,550 acres of cropland and 1,550 acres of summer fallow just 75 miles from the Canadian border. "We walk every field and pull every wild oat we see. If the kids are willing to work, I'd rather give them the money than the chemical companies."

http://www.nfo.org/Grain/q_Charles_Skorupa.aspx

I would have thought timing was the key. Most selectives will kill docks. If you spot-treat before the flower spike forms, there should be little or no chemical passed through the flowers.

Green Alkanet is a new invasive weed in my area - very similar to Dock in habit and appearence. I spray down onto the new growing rosettes with a Glyphosate weed killer in the evenings, including around the hives, for at least the last five years with no visible affect to the bees

(but both my feet are slowly rotting away)

I know Swarm, but they become too stumpy to have underfoot. besides which not a lot of flower per sq footage of growth - and a killer to dig-out when mature- in the Midlands it's called "Iron root"

Last summer I walked down a local street in and spotted it in over 80% of front gardens so a dangerously invasive plant.

We're talking about a lot of dock in a 5 acre field and it affects the quality of the hay and may make the contractor not want it. Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of harming my bees but was just asking in case there is asensible solution.

Dock digger? ...
The Dock Digger was invented when herbicides were not known. Now it is back: very heavy quality, long forged tines, strong 1.2m long ash handle for efficient action. Digging out the tap root is the only reliable method to get rid of Docks.

i have seen dead bee on docks sprayer with 2-4 5T, think they were after the water droplets as the weather was very dry at the time

Spent a lot of my formative years digging acres of docks out for my father on the farm. 5 acres is nothing and it does do the job. Ditto ragwort.

Cazza

Quite so. And way more fun than thistles.

Then there was pulling the wild oats, luckily I never had to hand hoe the 30 acres of sugarbeet which dad took immense pride over. I don't know how he did it, bent over hoeing for hours and hours. Yields fell when he modernised and stopped hand hoeing.
Cazza (getting a bit over nostalgic here.)

Treating fields with Roundup is very normal. At least I have not seen any ill effect on bees. It is just country life.
No farmer goes to dig weeds from fields, eccept wild oats. They have tends or hundreds of hectares to take care.

Last edited:
i have seen dead bee on docks sprayer with 2-4 5T, think they were after the water droplets as the weather was very dry at the time

That's a good point. Maybe spraying at dusk would be a good idea?

yes....always spray in the evening after they've stopped flying, otherwise they may go for any droplets on foliage, can't be healthy even if it is only weedkiller.

That's what we do when we spray our gravel drive, as close to dusk as possible.

Latest posts

Back