Advice on Moving North To Scotland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieD

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi, i could be moving from the east midlands to Scotland this summer. The area where im moving to is between Edinburgh and Cumbria, and is just countryside with forestry commission plantations and farm fields, and there is some wild areas but dont know yet if there is bracken ect there.
i am wondering if there will be enough food there for bees, if i take my 3 hives with me.
would appreciate anyone's opinion that has knowledge on this

It's funny that we were driving around that area yesterday in the pishing rain and commented on how it was unlikely to be good bee terrain (except when the heather and gorse are in bloom)... I suppose it depends on the exact location for local altitude, weather and forage.
Good luck with the move.
K ;)

It's funny that we were driving around that area yesterday in the pishing rain and commented on how it was unlikely to be good bee terrain (except when the heather and gorse are in bloom)... I suppose it depends on the exact location for local altitude, weather and forage.
Good luck with the move.
K ;)
ok thanks, well the fact that you saw heather and gorse in flower is encouraging. i just like keeping bees, i dont keep them just for honey but to help everything, so if there is some food source around there, i dont mind feeding them for the sparse times

I’m sure theres quite a bit of forage around wildflowers also
I would speak to local beekeepers ( association) which might shed some light on there honey flows, also maybe your bee type might need to change?
Good luck Steve it sounds exciting 🙂

I’m sure theres quite a bit of forage around wildflowers also
I would speak to local beekeepers ( association) which might shed some light on there honey flows, also maybe your bee type might need to change?
Good luck Steve it sounds exciting 🙂
i have british black bees so should be ok, they work even when its frosty

There are beekeepers everywhere, even where I am there are places where bees can make living. @Poly Hive on this forum might be able to steer you in the right direction as he is broadly based in the east borders . Also just contact the Scottish Beekeepers Association for advice.

PS. have you hives checked and certified by your local bee inspector before moving them.

Last edited:
Hi StevieD. It all depends on location of course. By and large I have never had to feed my hives in the active season ... yet. That's some 25 years north of the border and 20 south of it.

Latest posts

Back