Dimensions of Mike Bush's KTBH

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ugcheleuce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7-10
Hello everyone

Does anyone here know what are the dimensions of Mike Bush's topbar hive?

If I read his instructions right, both the vertical height and the "height" of the sides is the same, which can only be true of those sides are vertical:

15hh477.png

Thanks
Samuel

Hello everyone

Does anyone here know what are the dimensions of Mike Bush's topbar hive?

If I read his instructions right, both the vertical height and the "height" of the sides is the same, which can only be true of those sides are vertical:

15hh477.png

Thanks
Samuel

Mike Bush uses Tanzanian Style Top Bar Hives .... the sides are vertical not angled.

Hi your diagram seems to explain the dimensions fine, the "hight" from the bottom to the top is 12 in as you have shown, perhaps I don't understand the question. :) If you enter top bar hives into google you will find plenty of plans especially if you try google images. I hope that helps, regards Jim

Your diagram seems to explain the dimensions fine, the "hight" from the bottom to the top is 12 in as you have shown...

Green and purple can't both be 12 inches, but the instructions on Mike Bush's site seems to state that.

Green and purple can't both be 12 inches, but the instructions on Mike Bush's site seems to state that.

Number 3 is your answer. "the sides are spread to were they fit and nailed.
You take your bottom board and nail 1x12 planks to it. Then take the 1x12x15 inch end boards and place them on the end. Spread the sides out til they meet the top outside edge and nail in place.

The sides are 12 inch stock. The bottom is not going to be flush with the bottom of the end boards... it will be elevated some.

If you enter "top bar hives" into Google you will find plenty of plans, especially if you try Google Images.

Thanks, but I wanted to get closure on Mike Bush's hive specifically. I'm making a small collection of profiles of various well-known or commonly available topbar hive plans, and Mike's site is fairly well-known, so I want to include his design.

:rolleyes:just read the rest of the page here are some "highlights"
Question: Some people say a top entrance lets the heat out. How do you do your entrances?

Answer: In any hive (top bar or otherwise) I think a top entrance in the winter is always a good plan. It lets out the moisture and cuts down on condensation. Heat is seldom the problem, condensation is the problem in winter. A top entrance will let it out. Mine are all JUST top entrances. The reason I went with them was the skunks. My first TBH have a bottom entrance and the skunks were a serious problem. After going to the top entrances they have ceased being a problem. My entrances are simply the gap at the front of the hive between the first bar and the front wall. No holes to drill.
Question: Can I put a screened bottom board on my TBH?

Answer: You can. But I wouldn't leave the whole thing open as this will be too much ventilation.

Question: How can you have too much ventilation? Isn't ventilation a good thing?

Answer: Of course in the winter, too much ventilation means too much heat loss. But even in the summer the bees are cooling the hive by evaporation, so on a hot day the inside of the hive may be cooler than the outside air. So too much ventilation could result in the bees being unable to maintain a cooler temperature inside. When wax heats up past the normal operating temperatures of a hive (> 93 F) it gets very weak and combs can collapse.

Question: On Langstroth hives you often have a top and bottom vent to get sufficient ventilation. Should I provide cross ventilation in my TBH?

Answer: Bees seem to have more trouble ventilating a vertical hive with no vent at the top. They have to force dry air (which wants to go down) up to the top and hot moist air at the top (which wants to go up), back down and out the bottom. It's sort of like walking 20 miles to school, uphill both ways. So a top vent or top entrance in a vertical hive seems to be very helpful as it allows the hot moist air out the top which sucks the dry air in the bottom. With a horizontal hive, this is not an issue. They just move the air in a circular fashion in one side and back out the other side and out the door. Sort of like a nice level walk with no hills. This seems to work well. With cross ventilation (such as a front and back vent or entrance) the wind may blow through the hive and that may be a bad thing

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back