Problems with drawn comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2 cents worth:

1. TBH are an abomination to me. Hence, I've no direct experience of managing bees in them;
2. The wax moth infestation suggests to me your hive ie number of bees is low, hard to tell with the info supplied;
3. It looks like you're new to beekeeping? Deciding early on, as you have appeared to have done, not to consider treating appropriately is like going to an ass kicking competition with one leg tied up your back! Before you make your decision at least explore and understand ALL methods of treatment and decide on your best route;
4. For more detailed info on Varroa look to Bob Binnie or Randy Oliver, both American, both on YouTube, who will give you the science behind Varroa to a) help with your understanding and b) options for treatment;
5. Ditch the App.

The OP came here for a bit of advice, which was given initially but then to start mocking them is not a very friendly way to welcome a new poster imo.
Probably gentle chiding rather than mocking ... it is always a concern when you see new beekeepers who have leapt into the craft with very little basic knowledge. I think the OP got some good advice and perhaps a little reality check did not go amiss. We should, however, recognise that the OP is in the USA and in Texas and I don't know how much of a problem varroa is in that location. There is certainly evidence of wax moth in the comb and there is certainly SHB in the Southern States of the USA.

Perhaps we should all be aware that the OP was a cry for help - albeit one where there was a misguidance and reliance on something which most knowledgeable beekeepers would probably deride. A little understanding and kindness never goes amiss and in that I agree with you.

Hello everyone:

I’m a new beekeeper this year, and already I’ve grappled with SHB and a drought in Texas.

I did a dusting with powdered sugar as instructed as a precautionary tactic so that my hive wouldn’t go into fall with varroa and I wouldn’t have to use chemicals. View attachment 33871

During my inspection today, I photographed a comb that looks as if it’s been burned or chewed.

Does anyone know what might have happened here?

I did another varroa scan with the app and it shows that my hive is varroa-free.

However, there’s a lid of debris on the hive floor, which leads me to believe the bees chewed this out themselves.

Should I freeze it or toss it? Or leave it? They’re not working on this frame at all. View attachment 33872View attachment 33870
First year bee keeper here.
Looks like wax moth to me.
The powdered sugar just tells you that your bees have varoa mites.
It does not prevent them in any way at all.
We would all like to be chemical free.
If you have a dog or cat, do you treat it for worms and fleas, distemper etc, or you do just let them get on with it, fingers crossed ?
You have Bees , they will NEED treatment or they will get ill.
Your choice.

The photos are showing up on my end. Would someone let me know if you’re also unable to see them?

I don’t have varroa in my hive. I was told that a powdered sugar sprinkle encourages the bees to groom one another and helps dislodge varroa, and is a good preventative going into fall.

I’m open to any and all scientifically based information. I would like to keep my hive chemical-free. And pest-free, of course.
You will have varoa in your hive, we all do.

I see that there are truly unkind and supercilious individuals even in the UK. Your forum is best left to you. Cheers.

I see that there are truly unkind and supercilious individuals even in the UK. Your forum is best left to you. Cheers.

On this forum it is permissable to exhibit both of those traits so long as you are knowledgeable about and experienced with bees.
Etiquette here does not demand good manners.
But please stick with it and you'll see that there are several, regular contributors who have the knowledge, but also deliver it with good humour; the same people are also the ones who are less likely to be dogmatic with their advice.

Well I was critical of the app and whoever is giving this chap advice.
We live in a world of apps. Some are brilliant. Others not so.
Fred Dunn refers to a phone app in his Youtube video number 63. However, it is worth pointing out that it only images varroa on the backs of bees on frames and to be fair to Fred Dunn he recommends that if the app detects ANY Varroa, then you need to treat. Sam Ramsay has shown that many are underneath the bees between their plates and so not captured by the app. It is also worth mentioning that the vast majority of Varroa (perhaps 70%) are in capped cells during colony growth so not detected by the app. Perhaps also worth mentioning from personnel experience, that Varroa board drop counts (prior to treatment) are often only about 1% or less of the numbers you see from an alcohol wash. Hope that helps the reader.

Fred Dunn refers to a phone app in his Youtube video number 63. However, it is worth pointing out that it only images varroa on the backs of bees on frames and to be fair to Fred Dunn he recommends that if the app detects ANY Varroa, then you need to treat. Sam Ramsay has shown that many are underneath the bees between their plates and so not captured by the app. It is also worth mentioning that the vast majority of Varroa (perhaps 70%) are in capped cells during colony growth so not detected by the app. Perhaps also worth mentioning from personnel experience, that Varroa board drop counts (prior to treatment) are often only about 1% or less of the numbers you see from an alcohol wash. Hope that helps the reader.
basically, unless you have a catastrophically large varroa infestation, the chances of you seeing a mite on a bee are slim - therefore the app is about as much use as colander on a sinking lifeboat.

and with the onset of winter - already we see the first snowflake
Well that’s original! No just pointing out the immaturity of some people in the forum who should know better. Laughing at a new beekeeper, mocking them for using an app and other not so kind remarks about new beekeepers just for asking a question is just unfriendly! At least some people were able to offer constructive advice.

Last edited:
I’m sorry you feel that way. I hope you stay.
I have looked right through this thread. Apart from one perhaps careless reply there have been absolutely no ad hominem attacks. The ball has been kicked around but not the player.
You are a beginner and nobody has admonished you. A few including me have taken issue with whoever is giving you advice.

Everything is relative ...and we always appreciate divergent views. One person's mockery is another person's humour or another person's chiding ...
Do beginners need any of these things when asking a question for help in this forum?

I’m sorry you feel that way. I hope you stay.
I have looked right through this thread. Apart from one perhaps careless reply there have been absolutely no ad hominem attacks. The ball has been kicked around but not the player.
You are a beginner and nobody has admonished you. A few including me have taken issue with whoever is giving you advice.
more than one pile on!

Attachments

• 4B43F937-94D3-4209-8A37-4C38AB969E73.jpeg
    4B43F937-94D3-4209-8A37-4C38AB969E73.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 3
  • CB77415A-7E6C-4A41-B262-D59CD1F14DD2.jpeg
    CB77415A-7E6C-4A41-B262-D59CD1F14DD2.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 6
  • CA3252A5-4114-48F6-8413-A32EB66988E3.jpeg
    CA3252A5-4114-48F6-8413-A32EB66988E3.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 0235E08F-F64D-48FD-A4E0-7CD128E32B79.jpeg