Problems with drawn comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the app yes.
Do you think a beekeeper should rely on an app to do their keeping?
No, I don't but I wouldn't laugh at the person for using it, maybe just say it's not good because...

I thought these comments were pretty rude and unnecessary, first time this person posted said they were a beginner and within a few posts...
"I don't have varroa in my hive" hahaha!"
"Beginners!" (pretty much an eye roll)
"what's the point of keeping bees if you have to have an app to do it, might as well adopt a hive"
"There's one born every minute"

Anyway by the looks of it the forum gained and lost a member pretty quickly today, who also felt the same, maybe there's a reason for that and some people should try reflecting instead of deflecting.

Let's be positive. We were all new to the game once. Mercifully I read a lot, then went on theory and practical course, which provided my first bees. Even then I rang my mentor often. I suggest the OP does some reading of the more mainstream books.
I think I see wax moth damage, varroa poo and even the odd mite in the bottom of cells. Wax moth and varroa are endemic.
I hope the OP sticks around, they will learn a lot, which will make their beekeeping more enjoyable.
Most of my hives are standard framed but I have two top bar hives, but I did not get them until I had some experience. I like them too

Shall we leave it at that?
The OP has a colony with wax moth.
She says there is no varroa because her app says so.
Her app is wrong.
I urge her to do a definitive test and treat if needed.

No, I don't but I wouldn't laugh at the person for using it, maybe just say it's not good because...

I thought these comments were pretty rude and unnecessary, first time this person posted said they were a beginner and within a few posts...
"I don't have varroa in my hive" hahaha!"
"Beginners!" (pretty much an eye roll)
"what's the point of keeping bees if you have to have an app to do it, might as well adopt a hive"
"There's one born every minute"

Anyway by the looks of it the forum gained and lost a member pretty quickly today, who also felt the same, maybe there's a reason for that and some people should try reflecting instead of deflecting.
I agree and I hope the OP sticks around.

I’ve sent Jackie a PM apologising for my part in having a pop at the app she is innocently relying on and for letting the thread degenerate as it did.
She posted a lovely video of her bees and her queen that looks like a Belisha beacon when she introduced herself. I hope she does stay.

This is wax moth. It lays eggs in the gaps in the wooden frames and the larvae eat their way across the comb. You have to get rid of the eggs and larvae. Good news is it's easier to deal with than varroa.
I had a bad infestation one year. I moved the whole hive about 30 feet away and put a completely clean hive with clean frames and new foundation on the old site. I moved the queen, a few frames from the brood chamber with brood and nurse bees into the new brood chamber. The flying bees found their own way there.
Then the old hive needs dismantling, wax melted, frames taken apart, boiled or flamed, same with hive carcase.
You. might get away with just taking out the infested frames, but will need to keep checking and as soon as that horrible trail starts, deal with it. Look out for the moth inside the hive and kill it instantly.
This was some years ago. I'd be interested to hear of other methods.

This is wax moth. It lays eggs in the gaps in the wooden frames and the larvae eat their way across the comb. You have to get rid of the eggs and larvae. Good news is it's easier to deal with than varroa.
I had a bad infestation one year. I moved the whole hive about 30 feet away and put a completely clean hive with clean frames and new foundation on the old site. I moved the queen, a few frames from the brood chamber with brood and nurse bees into the new brood chamber. The flying bees found their own way there.
Then the old hive needs dismantling, wax melted, frames taken apart, boiled or flamed, same with hive carcase.
You. might get away with just taking out the infested frames, but will need to keep checking and as soon as that horrible trail starts, deal with it. Look out for the moth inside the hive and kill it instantly.
It's a difficult one, the usual advice is strong colonies and good apiary hygiene. Make sure there are no areas within the hive that bees can't get to. The problem is, you can be as scrupulous as you like and keep heaving colonies .... who don't seem to care about them.

The OP is using a top bar hive, therefore no frames or foundation, by the looks of it the waxmoth has run riot in unused brood comb and the colony is too weak to deal with it.
My feeling would be, first deal with the varroa (fair bit of evidence to their presence on that comb), reduce the space the bees have to cope with using follower boards, insulate then feed, feed, feed and hope they make it to the spring

It's Texas, I assume there is a longer season there (Google says it's still 27c) so may not be to late to save this season.
No idea what's flowering over there at this time of year though

basically, unless you have a catastrophically large varroa infestation, the chances of you seeing a mite on a bee are slim - therefore the app is about as much use as colander on a sinking lifeboat.
The app should be more sensitive than our eye but fully agree that any detection by it means there is a very heavy infestation. 👍

Latest posts

Back