Devon BKA Asian Hornet Initiative - The Martyn Hocking Experience

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, pretty anti NBU which is probably unfair considering they will receive many apparent VV sightings, their protocol seems to be working. Not completely factually correct and very much about him rather than the NBU's priority which will be eradicating the hornets. IMO the risk to the UK is slim.

Interesting, pretty anti NBU which is probably unfair considering they will receive many apparent VV sightings, their protocol seems to be working. Not completely factually correct and very much about him rather than the NBU's priority which will be eradicating the hornets. IMO the risk to the UK is slim.

Yes, he did appear to be disappointed with the way things played out in Woolacombe. The NBU representative at the meeting made it clear that his organisation is governed by departmental procedures, the law and health and safety considerations.

He said the reason Martyn was not told where the nest was situated was to protect the privacy of the landowner on whose land the nest was and who had done nothing wrong. If you've ever seen a media scrum and news-feeding frenzy, you will understand why the NBU wished to protect the landowner's privacy.

It was explained that the NBU has certain powers that cannot be transferred to an amateur beekeeper, however conscientious and well meaning that beekeeper may be. It was for this reason that beeks could not accompany RBIs and SBIs then they were searching for nests on private property (I think I've got that right but my notes of the meeting are rather sketchy!).

Martyn's feeling that, despite all his efforts and assistance, he was airbrushed out of the NBU's report of the incursion was very real and could easily have been overcome by a letter from the NBU thanking him for his help. I guess with everything that was going on, nobody thought to send such a letter - pity really.

I'm not so sure that the risk to the UK from Asian Hornets is slim. If three or four AHs are found at about the same time, the NBU would be hard pressed. The move from search and destroy to containment would in all probability mean a transfer of responsibility from the NBU to the local landowners/beekeepers - look at who's dealing with the incursions in Jersey.

Martyn's basic message that beekeepers need to organise themselves for this eventuality is accepted by the Devon BKA, whose chairman is in the process of organizing Asian Hornet Action Teams across the county with a view to offering initially assistance to beekeepers or others who might find themselves in Martyn's position of knowing he'd seen the intruder but could not prove it.

CVB

Yes, he did appear to be disappointed with the way things played out in Woolacombe. The NBU representative at the meeting made it clear that his organisation is governed by departmental procedures, the law and health and safety considerations.

He said the reason Martyn was not told where the nest was situated was to protect the privacy of the landowner on whose land the nest was and who had done nothing wrong. If you've ever seen a media scrum and news-feeding frenzy, you will understand why the NBU wished to protect the landowner's privacy.

It was explained that the NBU has certain powers that cannot be transferred to an amateur beekeeper, however conscientious and well meaning that beekeeper may be. It was for this reason that beeks could not accompany RBIs and SBIs then they were searching for nests on private property (I think I've got that right but my notes of the meeting are rather sketchy!).

Martyn's feeling that, despite all his efforts and assistance, he was airbrushed out of the NBU's report of the incursion was very real and could easily have been overcome by a letter from the NBU thanking him for his help. I guess with everything that was going on, nobody thought to send such a letter - pity really.

I'm not so sure that the risk to the UK from Asian Hornets is slim. If three or four AHs are found at about the same time, the NBU would be hard pressed. The move from search and destroy to containment would in all probability mean a transfer of responsibility from the NBU to the local landowners/beekeepers - look at who's dealing with the incursions in Jersey.

Martyn's basic message that beekeepers need to organise themselves for this eventuality is accepted by the Devon BKA, whose chairman is in the process of organizing Asian Hornet Action Teams across the county with a view to offering initially assistance to beekeepers or others who might find themselves in Martyn's position of knowing he'd seen the intruder but could not prove it.

CVB

Yes the NBU have to have their procedures, I do agree with them. I understand hornets can be aggressive near a nest although I have not seen a live nest. Reporters and the public would be at risk if they disclosed the site.

I don't really want to come over too harsh but I really dont see why they would send a thank you letter, I think every beekeeper in the country would do the same?

I'm not sure you can compare the mainland to Jersey, I'm sure the NBU have done a risk assessment and say Jersey is screwed! I dont think the UK have the same problem or ever will have, there just isnt the forage required for a mass invasion. Hornets arrive in PT in force in July, by October/November they are gone. If a nest is developing in mid September the window is too short to do any real damage. I think if they were able to come they would be here by now.

I absolutely agree beekeepers should familiar themselves with VV, they are the front line, scaremongering and trapping I certainly dont agree with.

Does anyone know where the hornet came from? Seems very strange to appear in a village in North Devon.

I don't really want to come over too harsh but I really dont see why they would send a thank you letter, I think every beekeeper in the country would do the same? ......

Does anyone know where the hornet came from? Seems very strange to appear in a village in North Devon.

I don't say I agree with him or disagree but Martyn Hocking certainly feels aggrieved. If you look at the video at about 34 minutes in, you will see why he feels aggrieved.

Nothing was said at the meeting to indicate where the hornet came from and how it came to be in Woolacombe. Possibly in a caravan or a lorry but almost certainly from France but we won't know for sure until the results of the DNA analysis is published.

CVB

Seems very strange to appear in a village in North Devon.

A village that happens to have a 3 mile beach of broad, flat, golden sand and a good climate. Many camp sites and caravan parks nearby. Not wishing to point any fingers, but many of the visitors may well have taken vehicles/trailers over to France at some point.

Perhaps not the time or place for a re-run of the well exercised "will stopping bee imports prevent exotic pests/diseases arriving?" question, but the camping/caravanning link is an easy and logical supposition if you know the area.

CVB

Good that the nest was eradicated but in a rural area it's quite surprising that the local population didn't notice and discuss at length sightings of the activities. Surely the bush telegraph isn't broken?
The NBU seem to have utterly overlooked the need to keep the beekeeping world hearts and minds on board. Maybe they need to consider this case as a lesson to be learned?

I don't say I agree with him or disagree but Martyn Hocking certainly feels aggrieved. If you look at the video at about 34 minutes in, you will see why he feels aggrieved.

Nothing was said at the meeting to indicate where the hornet came from and how it came to be in Woolacombe. Possibly in a caravan or a lorry but almost certainly from France but we won't know for sure until the results of the DNA analysis is published.

CVB

Thought they had... perhaps an NBU bulletin only sent out to the special few?

Yeghes da

I think the initial response was pathetic. Detailed suggestions of how to go about trapping or photographing, for confirmation (particularly for a beekeeper with an apiary), would have cost no more than that curt ‘don’t be siily’ attitude of the initial response.

Reporters would soon get tired of responding to so many false alarms, so that argument is largely unfounded. They would only turn up when the excrement had already hit the fan.

Landowners need to be included in the scheme. What would happen if only bee inspectors had a large forested area to search and the landowner made it difficult? Everyone needs to pull together, not be left out on a limb.

It was a good job that Churchill was in charge of defences during WWII. Waiting until the enemy had alreay invaded would have made things much more difficult to defend!

So how long is this time between hawking bee colonies and mating queens being dispersed?

Probably more questions, but enough for one post.

A good, enlightening, video.

RAB

Having watched this video I will be placing the link in our next Association Newsletter. I found the content most alarming. The numbers of reported sightings mean that genuine cases could be overlooked. I think it is important that all Beekeepers band together to form local teams. I also believe the NBU should be asked to view this video and consider their 'protocols'!!!!

:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

A village that happens to have a 3 mile beach of broad, flat, golden sand and a good climate. Many camp sites and caravan parks nearby. Not wishing to point any fingers, but many of the visitors may well have taken vehicles/trailers over to France at some point.

Perhaps not the time or place for a re-run of the well exercised "will stopping bee imports prevent exotic pests/diseases arriving?" question, but the camping/caravanning link is an easy and logical supposition if you know the area.

Not forgetting the Wind Assisted F_ng id!ots who sail back and fore from the continent on which there is little control at all.

I think the initial response was pathetic. Detailed suggestions of how to go about trapping or photographing, for confirmation (particularly for a beekeeper with an apiary), would have cost no more than that curt ‘don’t be siily’ attitude of the initial response.

Landowners need to be included in the scheme. What would happen if only bee inspectors had a large forested area to search and the landowner made it difficult? Everyone needs to pull together, not be left out on a limb.

So how long is this time between hawking bee colonies and mating queens being dispersed?

Probably more questions, but enough for one post.

RAB

What was strange here was the fact there were no other hornets sighted, if there were a few reports I'm sure they would investigate, but with so many reported, I'm sure Richard Noel said NBU had 500 false reports in a week. I know to the untrained eye the hornet doesnt look that different to the VC which I'm sure is common there. The main difference to me is the sound and the fact this insect hovers, VC doesnt.

Queens are dispersed at the very end of the season, probably later than wasps.

Last edited:
it is a bit of worry on how many false reports they get, I did like him puting the leaflets in the hive roof.

Systems should all ways be looked at improving and hopfully they have been.

I do wonder if they have tested a mix like what mazzamazda uses to kill them in case things do go wrong. (tested as in gone to a bit of france tryed a few methods which are cheap to do and see if the numbers have gone down in the area)

https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=607281&postcount=3

it is a bit of worry on how many false reports they get, I did like him puting the leaflets in the hive roof.

Systems should all ways be looked at improving and hopfully they have been.

I do wonder if they have tested a mix like what mazzamazda uses to kill them in case things do go wrong. (tested as in gone to a bit of france tryed a few methods which are cheap to do and see if the numbers have gone down in the area)

https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=607281&postcount=3

I did contact them during Tetbury, they were initially interested but they dont like Fipronil. Once they found the nest the confidence was up and definitely no longer interested, which was fine. I agree with them, the method of finding the nest with only one or two nests and huge numbers of helpers, is best for the UK. I cant imagine there were that many hornets visiting the hives in Devon. My method is really just for beekeepers inundated with nests and no resources to find them or in difficult to reach places or in October when the queens might be released. I fear for Jersey later this year.

RAB

I don't know the answer to your question but I suspect it may be weather dependent. Is it a coincidence that both AH incursions into the UK were discovered by beekeepers in September so that looks like the time that they are seeking out lots of protein and have found the local apiaries.

As for the wind-assisted comment from JMB, the Devon Beekeepers have a list of organisations that they intend to contact with a view to publishing something in their newsletters. The RYA was on the list as was the National Trust, the RHS, the marinas trade organisation. The trouble of course is that, like with beekeepers, not every yotty or gardener or boatyard/marina or campsite is a member of the appropriate trade organisation.

CVB

Is it a coincidence that both AH incursions into the UK were discovered by beekeepers in September so that looks like the time that they are seeking out lots of protein and have found the local apiaries.
CVB

They appear here around July and shed queens late October/November. We need Karol to answer that question but I seem to remember him saying they need to get established first, feed on more local insects then as the nest size increases they attack en masse, I think in the UK it takes until September until the nests are big enough, I believe VC are similar.

BBKA sets up webpage devoted to AHATs

The BBKA has put a page on its website dealing with Asian Hornet Action Teams. The page has links to protocols developed by Devon BKA to help local associations if they're thinking of setting up an AHAT. These teams are intended to help anybody who thinks they've seen Asian Hornet but has been unable to provide evidence to satisfy the requirements of the NNSS.

Some of the links make interesting reading. Enjoy!

CVB

The BBKA has put a page on its website dealing with Asian Hornet Action Teams. The page has links to protocols developed by Devon BKA to help local associations if they're thinking of setting up an AHAT. These teams are intended to help anybody who thinks they've seen Asian Hornet but has been unable to provide evidence to satisfy the requirements of the NNSS.

Some of the links make interesting reading. Enjoy!

CVB

Think its either been taken down or the link is incorrect.
S

Latest posts

Back