Cull

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have one hive with Nosema.
Obviously Every precaution taken with reference to the other hives ,what can I humanely finish them off with?
Petrol is not an option.
I have access to 99% acetic acid -is this ok in a paper pad with an eke under the brood box?
The combs and frames will be written off.

Thanks millet
Im trying to think like a bee- remove the weakness.
If this colony succumbed to disease and the others seem healthy I don't want their drones near my new queens this year.
It's possibly a bit late now anyway.
They haven't foraged for a fortnight ,and no one's guarding the entrance
I'd rather the healthy hives didn't try to investigate or Rob them and get infected.

Personally i do anything to try and save them..i currently have a small very weak colony in the house to keep what is left of them warm..
Give the thymol a go and seal the entrance of with some varroa mesh if you are worried about robbing...

I also saved a hive that had nosema coming out of winter by spraying them with thymolated syrup..My other hive had perished, their Q had been supereseded in late autumn....

Yes go for it.
5ml of thymol premix ( see sticky) in a litre of warm 1:1 syrup.
Take the frames out and spray the bees repeat every four days another twice
Mind you, the cold might kill them doing that at this time of year :(

Water and detergent solution is a quick way to despatch.
Are they on their last legs? If not, they won't have drones for you to worry about for a while yet and when the weather improves you will have ample time to try the method Erichalfbee has described.

Blackcloud, how do you know they have Nosema?

But anyway, I really wouldn't kill the colony! Try to nurse them back to health with feeding, and change out old comb as soon as there is a good spring day.

From your description, it sounds as though they might already be dead. If I suspect a colony is dead, or dwindling so fast that they can't cope being in a proper hive, I'll have a quick look to see what's up, and quickly move them to a cosy, warm nucleus if necessary. I did that with a colony that was weak and pooing a lot on 21 January; on 6 February there was still evidence of poo - but now it's all gone, and they're quite active.

Nosema ceranae is different than Nosema apis have you confirmed that your bees are indeed infected?
I think these are the appropriate quantities, someone will say I am sure if its incorrect.
30g of thymol crystals dissolved in 150ml of isopropyl alcohol (or surgical spirit) ...will keep indefinitely. - 5ml of this mix to 1L of 1:1 syrup and lightly spray over the bees and combs - three applications and four days between each spraying to help with Nosema Apis.

I have one hive with Nosema.
Obviously Every precaution taken with reference to the other hives ,what can I humanely finish them off with?
Petrol is not an option.
I have access to 99% acetic acid -is this ok in a paper pad with an eke under the brood box?
The combs and frames will be written off.

With the current weather it’s not surprising if a colony can’t get out to relieve itself. I would either leave to see if it’s just a short term case of the ‘squits’ or try and treat with some thymol.
S

My testing would only be pulling out the guts,but from a visual analytic:
No guard bees no foraging ,no feeding
Tap on the perspex will get a few up onto the fondant but all they do is fan their glands and try to attack
Sh1te everywhere over the frames ,food and down the floor under the entrance.
I don't think a pestle and mortar would prove me too far wrong?
They were a caste swarm from last May that were relatively fiesty and not particularly prolific in any discipline
I was only really keeping them as nuc- building stock,so apart from that it would be no real loss and despite my apparent callousness I'd rather they didn't suffer.
Weather could be a cause but the other hives aren't phased by it at all.
It would be another week before I could do the thymol
So despite a this the general cocensus is to give a final chance?

Last edited:
Save your bees as we have all told you by now.

I haven't. :)

Terminate now as Swarm suggested and you'll never regret it. Three years ago in early spring I had similar: one colony with iffy temper (Q due for the foot) and bad dysentery in an apiary of twelve; on a cold day sprayed the frames and bees; all dead in five minutes. That lot and the scrapings went up in flames and the hive was taken out of the apiary for cleaning.

Maybe it was dysentery, maybe N. apis, but bad temper and a weakness for dysentery? No, thanks. We're dealing with livestock and the health of the majority is the prime concern. Not had dysentery in that apiary since (or bad temper).

Saved a colony of badly nosema infected Carnolian bees back in 1998 using a mix of 5% thymol and garlic powder in a 1:1 syrup mix ... sprayed over comb.
driving force ass the queen cost me a wopping £35 !!!

Swarmed as soon as they were able... lesson learned!!!

Saved a colony of badly nosema infected Carnolian bees back in 1998 using a mix of 5% thymol and garlic powder in a 1:1 syrup mix ... sprayed over comb.
driving force was the queen cost me a wopping £35 !!!

Swarmed as soon as they were able... lesson learned!!!

Natives now for me!!

I haven't. :)

Terminate now as Swarm suggested and you'll never regret it. ...

I can't see that you've replied earlier, Eric, and Swarm suggested a method of killing the colony - not a recommendation that he should do that.

As for not regretting it - well, yes, "was man nicht weiß, macht mich nicht heiß". Blissful ignorance for the trigger-happy.

Regardless of most of the tripe posted which should be ignored..try to save the little darlings..you have something to gain by trying any method to hand...but nothing to gain by pointlessly killing them..
It is up to the OP what he decides..but personally i would never kill anything with a chance that they could pull safe.

Maybe we need a new part of the forum on here for afficionados of disposable beekeeping.
What next - advice on petrolling a colony as they don't quite match the new patio furniture?

I'm stuck now!
Bees have self sacrifice built in- chucking out drones in autumn,uncapping diseased brood ,sick bees leaving and not returning - so I value nature's natural selection policy and stand by my willingnes to eliminate their DNA from the gene pool ( none of the other colonies have apparently succomed and I don't want them mating with my good virgins later on.)
Having a spore ridden box on the site doesn't sit well with me and they haven't touched any sugar cake or pollen subs for weeks.
But !
If there is a chance to save them a tight fisted beekeeper wouldn't want to lose stock...

Back