Composition Of Local BKA Membership

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I was surprised to learn at our local BKA AGM that non-beekeeping Members outnumber beekeeping Members (160/144, if I recall correctly).

Are there any other BKAs out there with a higher non-beekeeping/beekeeping Membership composition?

I was surprised to learn at our local BKA AGM that non-beekeeping Members outnumber beekeeping Members (160/144, if I recall correctly).

Are there any other BKAs out there with a higher non-beekeeping/beekeeping Membership composition?

How many are beeminders... keeping them as pets as Finman would say ?

Can't say I'm too surprised. A lot of beeks don't sign into Beebase etc and don't advertise their whereabouts either.

Umm. That might be a mis-interpretation of the statistics.

1/ It costs less to join if you say "no hives" (so no insurance, etc).

2/ I'm a Member of one and a "Friend" at another -- at the second, their statistics would show me as a "non-beekeeper".

3/ "Friend" membership is included in some Intro courses (where ideally people learn before getting bees), which is going to skew the stats even more.

So, I wouldn't take those numbers at face value ...

Im a Full member of mine and my wife is a "friend". she beekeeps but doesnt have hives, they are all mine and we also work at the Association out apiary with new members.

non-beekeeping Members outnumber beekeeping Members (160/144,

I don't honestly believe it. Simple as that. I would need more definitive evidence than that above before accepting it at face value.

There must be a lot of prospective beekeeping couples or some other reason for the skew.

BTW, if this is a full member of a BB*A association, one has to pay for two hives on the BBI insurance as part of the capitation fees. So itma may be right in that most are associate members to avoid these extra scurrilous fees. I am now wondereing if the public liability is afforded to such members? If not, quite likely another rip-off!

I think that the high number of non beekeeping members is mostly to do with the fact that everyone who does the introductory course - about 80 a year, get membership. On top of that people's partners join as non beekeeping members and also quite a few members are beekeeping members of another local association.

I think that the high number of non beekeeping members is mostly to do with the fact that everyone who does the introductory course - about 80 a year, get membership. On top of that people's partners join as non beekeeping members and also quite a few members are beekeeping members of another local association.

Agree, but i think it is a local anomaly for the central area of London and activiities that take place at their HQ

our BKA in North london suburbs does not have a similar to shift to non beekeepers perhaps because we only train 10 to 15 beginners a year and the county assocoation to the north of us does little in the way of lectures, education or supporting workshops

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back