Chemical Residues?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"And the point of blaming the Beeks for propalgating contaminated wax, honey,propolis, is ??????"
-I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make, but I'll try to answer it anyway - as a very bright Indian lady put it, every time you eat, you can make a political statement...... which translates as saying that consumers, the public, us, actually have immense power, but for the most part, choose not to use it - it means that we as consumers (or beekeepers) have choices, and we can collectively influence what happens, whether it be to refuse to buy contaminated foundation, allow our bees to build their own instead, or to take it wider, and refuse point-blank to buy food that hasn't been produced to the highest chemical-free standards. There are obvious practical details that are problematical (it's pricey to do so), but as beekeepers I don't think we could or should just shrug our shoulders and accept contamination as "normal", but campaign vigorously to ensure it is minimised, and eventually halted........... "Think globally, act locally"

Last edited:
I think that the answer is stay away from things like wax/foundation exchange schemes. Stop all hard chemical treatments and use ONLY oxalic acid to control Varroa. Use your own wax from cappings to make foundation and do not recycle brood wax into foundation. Use starter strips for super combs and either make your own foundation or be present when your wax is being processed. It is crazy to use wax that you have no knowledge at all about its source and history.
Alternatively you can purchase certified chemical free wax in Germany and details can be found here:
www.imkereibedarf-muhr.de

I have no business interests with this company.

I use their 5,1 for foundation. You will have to inquire if they can make it in the special sizes you use in the UK. It is not pre-wired.

Incredible as it seems, wax from the Mwinilunga District in Zambia from log hives has some chemical residue, DDT being one of them. Even though this is one of the remotest places in Africa, it seems like the use of some chemicals in the past still lingers on..............

Best regards
Norton.

Is this some kind of bioconcentration going on with contaminated beeswax?

Maybee the answer as no doubt already mentioned would be to get a top bar, a press, and eventually make your own foundation
If I start down that road now maybee my children or even my grandchildren will benefit, however get the point and totaly agree that removing the source of the chemicals ( Multibillion$$$$$$ chemical agrocompanies) is the only long term solution

When the revolution comes Dennis Fatcher and his ilk will surely be first against the wall !
(Or has he already been sent to his toxicheaven?)

Latest posts

Back